• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New here... seeking support for myself and my wife

K

keith74

Hello all,
Just joined the sit and wanted to introduce myself. I am married to my lovely wife. She is bipolar. But she manages it quite well with medication and therapy, Recently we had a string of bad luck. First, she had a very ugly dispute with her sister (who triggers her). Then she had to go to the hospital for an emergency surgery. While the surgery was successful, she found her stay at the hospital uncomfortable and triggering for numerous reasons, too many to explain. Basically she is becoming manic. This is the most manic I've seen her and I am scared. She got so emotional that she had a severe mental breakdown during her stay that forced the psych team to get involved. The one positive is that the psych team is doing an analysis. She has calmed down since and is still very manic, but under control so that she is advocating that she is not manic and doesn't need medication. For the first time since we met, she feel she doesn't need her meds anymore. I am praying that the psych team can somehow convince her to continue taking but I am very worried they will let her leave with a prescription that she will disregard. I've expressed my worries to them and they seemed understanding but I'm not sure if they will really take action. I've never been this anxious in my life. I know I just have to gut it out and be there for my wife. I just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks for reading and and any comments are most welcome!

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Hi, I'm sorry for what you are both going through.

If she is sent home with a prescription, and does not take the medication, and the mania escalates, are you then able to take her to the hospital or request a visit from the psychiatrist?

K

keith74

If it escalates to that severe mental breakdown she had at the hospital, then I guess I would have to try to get her back to the hospital. In the past (before we were married), her family with have had to call 911 to get her to a hospital. I really hope it never comes to that for us.

K

keith74

I'm picking up my wife from the hospital after her discharged. I spoke to her and wow she is manic. I'm very worried and frustrated that the hospital is discharging her in this state despite my concerns. She is convinced that she doesn't need her meds and has no desire to go see her current psychologist but instead will seek a new doctor she likes (i.e. that agrees with her). This is going to be a long bumpy road ahead and I'm scared.

K

keith74

I can only pray that she can eventually calm down at home and will come to her senses a bit and recognize what happens.

F

Fictionprison

I feel your pain. My wife is also bipolar and I went through similar issues. When she is manic she doesn't think she needs meds, and she doesn't want to listen to me. This latest episode, she didn't even want to admit she was manic at first. However, I was patient and I just kept calm and was persistent that she see a doctor. I convinced her to let the doctor judge so she finally agreed, because she was so sure that she wasn't manic. The doctor immediately put her back on meds and had her come back weekly for a while. I guess hearing me tell her that she needed meds wasn't enough, but she did listen to the doctor. She did eventually accept that she was manic and took her meds until she came down. That still took 3 or 4 months as the doctor put her on a low dose and gradually raised the dosage.

Now we are dealing with her severe depression and emotional blunting. Its a wild rollercoaster ride for sure. I don't know if my approach with work on your wife or not as everyone is different. You run the risk of really angering her by being persistent, but I felt I had nothing to lose in my particular situation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HLon99 Bipolar Forum 0
Zana Bipolar Forum 5
O Bipolar Forum 10
T Bipolar Forum 3
M Bipolar Forum 11