• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New here, need clarification on some things

JavaFreek

JavaFreek

I just signed in today, part of the reason, is I get health obsessed, and this last round was self diagnosing as ADHD, even after my therapist at that time I was seeing for severe depression said my symptoms appear more like OCD than ADHD, I stuck to my guns and said that "Its because I drift off constantly when reading or trying to concentrate"- but I only recently discovered that people with OCD do that also. I was on ADHD stimulant meds (Adderall) but stepped them down on my own and got off of them. Ive been clean of them for two weeks now.

My symptoms: It cycles- I have a couple weeks of being clear headed and relatively calm and then I get obsessive over things like clutter, piles of things around the house, to the point of getting aggressive about it. What I mean by the aggressive part, is when Im clear headed, I simply say that I don't like it and stand my ground about how I feel, but when I cycle into a bad spell, even though I already know its an upsetting thing, I get really upset and start throwing those things out of the way. (One of the things my wife does is layer piles in front of piles, the one I have the worst time with is stuff stacked in front of my tool box in the garage or on top where I cant open it without moving things). Another thig is stacks of things shoved into shelves in our entertainment center instead of being put away.

I also notice I will zero onto my cell phone obsessively far worse than normal (whatever THAT word means) especially where politics are involved and I literally cannot stay away from it. Its almost always accompanied with anxiety. When the cycle clears, the anxiety also clears.

This is life altering and I can imagine, hard to live with. Not that their behavior doesn't somewhat warrant a confrontation or 4, Its not handled rationally is what Im saying. I see my doc tomorrow morning, I appreciate any prayers or support if you see fit and will update.

Z

Zoe1

hi JavaFreek :welcome: ! angel wishes for you

I think you will find it helpful here,
maybe do a post in introductions forum as well
so that you get more welcomes

thats alot to work on there that you have described

n yeah try to separate out what your wife needs to work on
and what you need to work on

so that its not some kind of a competition
maybe you can offer to help her with her cluttering / hoarding habit
but without judging her ?

:grouphug:🕯🍀

JavaFreek

JavaFreek

Oh, I am focusing on me, but in order to describe my reactions, I really didnt have any idea how to do it otherwise. This is certainly not a wife bashing session. Thank you for at least pointing out how it appears.

Z

Zoe1

thankyou Java, thats not quite how I meant it either
I meant more like in relationships
you can get caught up in each others issues
and might need to create some breathing space between you

JavaFreek

JavaFreek

Gotcha, yes, they do clash, Im just trying to do me. It amazes me at how many either don't see, refuse to see, or are almost militantly apposed to facing their issues. That makes no sense to me. Were here to learn to be happy with who we are, not suffer through it.

Z

Zoe1

I dont understand that either
especially because under those issues
are gifts that are our real selves
which they are missing out on !