• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

New Here - Medication question

P

Paul2624

Hello everyone, this is my first time here. I have had panic attacks with agorophobia for many years and my consultant has decided to to put me on Pregabalin as of next week as a phased replacement for venalafaxine and propanonol. I know that it is supposed to be quite good for general anxiety but how has anyone found it in relation to stopping/easing panic attacks.

Any advice thoughts welcome, many thanks in advance

Paul

S

starfish

pregabalin is good, but you will have to watch your weight.:)

U

univengr

I hate to be one to give you discouraging news but taking Pregabalin is as good as if you are taking nothing. Pregabalin reportedly has a GABAergic action which prompts the psychiatrist to experiment. Pregabalin is not indicated either for Generalized Anxiety Disorder or for Panic Disorder. Pregabalin does not even bind to the GABA receptors like the benzodiazepines do. I also just do not understand why your doctor is taking you off Venlafaxine. Propranolol is another useless drug for panic attacks. If you have had adverse effects to Venlafaxine, try Paroxetine, an SSRI. If you have already tried SSRI's try Wellbutrin (Bupropion). Bupropion worked in my case. To reassert myself, question your doctor about the practicality of taking Pregabalin. Good luck. Hang in there!