New here Hi there

R

Rachel 12

Hi I'm Rachel 12 I'm new to this forum, I have been diagnosed with emotionally unstable personality disorder is there any difference between this and BDP? All comments wellcome and thanks for reading this.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Hi I'm Rachel 12 I'm new to this forum, I have been diagnosed with emotionally unstable personality disorder is there any difference between this and BDP? All comments wellcome and thanks for reading this.
hi Rachel

I believe EUPD is the new name for what used to be called BPD.

R

Rachel 12

Is it common to have depression anxiety episodes of pyscosis eating disorder and substance adiction issues with BPD /EUPD , if so what a cocktail! !! That's my life,

R

Rachel 12

What a relief, at least I know what I have now. And I cope with it quite well. Too be honest it's the pyscosis that I hate the most. The rest I can live with but that can be hell on earth. The past few months have been quite hard but the pyscosis is fading now. And this is on legal medication. Boy it was 100% worse on what should I say ilegal substances. To give some hope I'm clean and sober 4 years now so addiction to substances can be overcome. Thank you for replying back to me. And thank you for taking time to read this. Peace to you

R

Rachel 12

Hi Rachel and :welcome: I suffer from psychosis with BPD too. It's not fun is it?
To be honest with the irrational thoughts and feelings and behaviour that's bad enough but the combination with psychosis is he'll on earth. I don't know about anyone else but my psychosi is totally irrational so BPD on top is well something that I wouldn't wish anyone to experience. I'm not feeling sorry for myself not at all I'm wondering if DPT therapy helps? I'm thinking of training to be a counsellor. Well at least I would have empathy.

M

mrspoon

I believe EUPD and BPD, are the same. I think the US and maybe some other countries called it BPD, because it's referred as BPD in the DSM, I believe in europe ,certainly the UK they use the ICD not the DSM, DSM and ICD are guides about diseases ,illness's and disorders. ICD calls BPD EUPD, What complicates it, is I think EUPD, has broken down into two subtypes. Borderline or Impulsive.

It's all quite complicated. But more complicated as in the UK, for instance,despite it offically being called EUPD, many in mental health still call it BPD. I believe it will be changing soon as PD's are being re looked at ,in the guides, so you could be 'called' something else. I also hear the Complex PTSD will be offically recognised in the ICD so it's possible some people will be re diagnosed with that.

Iam not sure how much difference it makes, Iam being seen by a psychiatrist soon to talk about my diagnosis, my socially worker said sadly that all mental illness's carry stigma within mental health services and in society,she said wouldn't matter what I was diagnosed with at some point I would meet an idiot. . At least she was honest.I was previously diagnosed with schizophrenia, before a PD, there is stigma in both, it's just ignorant idiots make different wrong judgements. In fact I have been treated better with PD than when I had a schizophrenia diagnosis.

It is strange though, as so many people have a diagnosed mental illness these days including those who work within mental health services , you would think stigma wouldn't even be mentioned and wouldn't make these judgements .

R

Rachel 12

I believe EUPD and BPD, are the same. I think the US and maybe some other countries called it BPD, because it's referred as BPD in the DSM, I believe in europe ,certainly the UK they use the ICD not the DSM, DSM and ICD are guides about diseases ,illness's and disorders. ICD calls BPD EUPD, What complicates it, is I think EUPD, has broken down into two subtypes. Borderline or Impulsive.

It's all quite complicated. But more complicated as in the UK, for instance,despite it offically being called EUPD, many in mental health still call it BPD. I believe it will be changing soon as PD's are being re looked at ,in the guides, so you could be 'called' something else. I also hear the Complex PTSD will be offically recognised in the ICD so it's possible some people will be re diagnosed with that.

Iam not sure how much difference it makes, Iam being seen by a psychiatrist soon to talk about my diagnosis, my socially worker said sadly that all mental illness's carry stigma within mental health services and in society,she said wouldn't matter what I was diagnosed with at some point I would meet an idiot. . At least she was honest.I was previously diagnosed with schizophrenia, before a PD, there is stigma in both, it's just ignorant idiots make different wrong judgements. In fact I have been treated better with PD than when I had a schizophrenia diagnosis.

It is strange though, as so many people have a diagnosed mental illness these days including those who work within mental health services , you would think stigma wouldn't even be mentioned and wouldn't make these judgements .
I was also diagnosed with schizophrenia before me and my psyciarist literally went through the DSM 4 to research which disorder I have and when I realised that I meet all the criteria for EUPD it was a light bulb moment. I don't have all the issues all of the time but I do have most of them daily.
I'm wondering if we are born with EUPD? If I reflect on my childhood I had some symptoms.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

its not complicated: BPD is considered an Outdated and Inaccurate term so its being replaced with EUPD

at different speeds in different jurisdictions :D

EUPD is considered to be often related to abuse/neglect, or at least perceived neglect, before the age of 2.

M

mrspoon

I was also diagnosed with schizophrenia before me and my psyciarist literally went through the DSM 4 to research which disorder I have and when I realised that I meet all the criteria for EUPD it was a light bulb moment. I don't have all the issues all of the time but I do have most of them daily.
I'm wondering if we are born with EUPD? If I reflect on my childhood I had some symptoms.
No one really knows, I have read some doctors believe people with BPD are born with a kind of sensitvity/brain abnormality which makes them more prone to traumatic events occuring in their lives as their emotions cause them to react differently to other people .Or it is caused entirely by trauma and neglect and those causes the changes in the brain. Either way, recent theory I have read suggests those with BPD, something a bit wrong with the brain, and in the majority of cases they experienced trauma in childhood and neglect. Some doctors believe it runs in families.

R

Rachel 12

Good morning all. Once again I can't sleep over active thoughts, is lack of sleep normal? I'm getting tried of not being able to sleep, as if I don't sleep my mental health gets worse. Then the voices start it's like a never ending cycle. My GP dosnt like giving me sleeping tablets and I don't want them as they are only a short fix for a serious long term issue. Any suggestions?