• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

New here, health anxiety, recent losses in family

Dragonfly111

Dragonfly111

Good morning all. I’m 56 years old, with a very long long history of anxiety disorder.
I lost my mother last week, after a 15 year history of a brain injury from a car accident.
Prior to that she was a remarkable lady, a hospice nurse very dedicated to her job with a full active life. She and I were not that close. As she lived out of state and was very busy. My dad died at the age of 54 in 1997 from lung cancer.
I was very young when I married, and I have two grown children. Divorced. I myself am also a hospice nurse.
I’ve come along way with handling anxiety. But still I go back to old thoughts and tendencies when things get hard.
My biggest issue is health anxiety, when I get overwhelmed I become a hypochondriac and start thinking things are wrong with me. Being a nurse, suddenly I think I have every disease in the book. I believe it’s my way of taking my attention off what really hurts. So I don’t have to think about it. And currently that’s about my mom, and the years that I lost.
I’m here for support, and better than that, I hope to share ideas and help others with their trials and journeys. Blessings to each and everyone of you, I look forward to sharing and learning more.

Bod

Bod

Hello Dragonfly111, welcome to the forum I am sure you will get any help and advice off the members here as we are all a great friendly helping set of people.

Dragonfly111

Dragonfly111

Hello Dragonfly111, welcome to the forum I am sure you will get any help and advice off the members here as we are all a great friendly helping set of people.
Thank you 😊

A

Anxietyhell

Hello Dragon fly..
I think being a hospice nurse takes a special kind of person,. I suffer with bouts of health anxiety, so the fact you suffer too - and are able to around people that are terminally ill takes quite a lot of courage I think...You are dealing with illness everyday, so its not surprising you experience your own fears.. I admire you for that... I am sorry that your mum and yourself were not close, but of course its still a huge loss to lose a parent.. I imagine it can be feel a bit like suddenly feeling orphaned, and we are always our parents children and they our mums and dad whatever age we are.. Perfectly natural to experience that sense of loss and grief, even if not close physically or emotionally to our parents... Good luck here, hope it helps you

Dragonfly111

Dragonfly111

Thank you so much, my mom and I had great moments, but a lot of disagreements over the years. Things that I wish I could take back. I did move her up north to be near me before Covid hit. I’m grateful for that because she and I grew closer. I was fortunate enough to have her in a facility that I worked in. Otherwise I would’ve never gotten to see her because of covid restrictions.

A

Anxietyhell

I think its true to say that we have all had disagreements with our parents, and said things or behaved in ways that maybe we wish we hadn't... We are all only human so don't beat yourself up for that, maybe she felt the same re things she may have said and not said to you... You got to be closer in last few years, and were able to share times together..Unfortunately we all have some regrets, because life isn't a rehearsal.. We have to attempt to make some peace with ourseives, it can be a rocky road - and with all. Our other issues its no mean feat at times.. You are a strong lady, to do the work you do..

Dragonfly111

Dragonfly111

I had to take the last week and a half off. Was too hard to go back to work and take care of other people after losing her.
I feel inspired by her though, because she was a hospice nurse. I feel like I can carry on her purpose that way.
Thank you so much for the kind words, I feel I found this forum at the right time.:love::thanks:

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Hello Dragonfly111, welcome to the forum.

A

Anxietyhell

Hugs to you, its good to talk and air and vent thoughts and feelings etc here..