• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

new here, can anyone explain why my psychiatrist said this.

T

trixiebell

i am new here but this has been going round my head for some time and i am wondering if anyone else has had something like this,

" i love being in your head " this comment was made during a therapy session by the psychiatrist any ideas why as im confused

MadEmma

MadEmma

?

That is not what I would have expected a therapist of any type to have said. It seems quite inappropriate as the only person in your head is yourself and no one will be able to get in your head through a counselling session other than have a discussion of how you are feeling currently and what your thoughts are on certain things. Even then they are making their own opinion from your responses based on their own views. I would ask the person who said that to you about what they exactly meant and how it has made you feel. I find if something plays on my mind it is better to ask about it and then put your mind at rest.

Hope you get an answer xx

Last edited by a moderator:
ally41

ally41

This is definately not something that any good therapist should say. To use the word love in any way to describe how they feel about you or working with you opens the door to a host of projection and transferal problems. You probably have issues with people who have loved (or not) you in the past and your therapist needs to remain completely detached from this history in order to provide you with a safe and secure new environment.

I had a similar problem once when I realised that the counsellor I was seeing was being titillated by me talking about sex. I left her immediately and went to find a therapist, 7 years ago I found the one I have now and he is in a different league, I know how it supposed to be now.

C

CrashtestMummy

I would throw this back at them and ask him how this feels, and would he like to sit with his feeling on this !

he sounds like an egotistical twat

take care

amathus

amathus

Sounds rather unprofessional to me,I understand why this is worrying you...
If you have the strength to challenge his comment, then you could pursue it...
personally I would be considering asking for a change of psychiatrist...therapy can be very taxing, and if you feel uncomfortable, it's not going to be a positive experience for you in the long run.

meteos.