• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

New here and I need someone to talk to :(

S

suzy

I was diagnosed two years ago (MA-HOOOSIVE HIGH)...been through it in hospital for a few months. When I came out I was on sodium valporate which thinned my hair so I was put on Lithium 400mg...up to 600 now back on 400mg. Was on 20 olanzopine, reduced through the years and now am off it since TWO DAYS AGO!!!

I have been very stable since, only one blip...kinda low week or two. But my litium level had shot up at that time!

Just today/last night I have had the low back and I don't know if it because I am off the olanzopine now. I've been on 2.5mg for a good few months so it can't make that much difference can it? Just I hate feeling like this, it may stop me from going out tonight :(

jax

jax

Hi Suzy,
I too had a massive high in 2005. I didn't sleep for days at a time. Then I would sleep 15 minutes one night and then another lot of days with no sleep at all. I would put on seroquel first. It was upped to 900 mgs a day. Then lithium was added. It went to 1400 mgs a day. Still they could not bring me down. So the next drug added was 1700 mgs of sodium valporate (Eplilm). The epilim made me vomit about 3 times a week for about a year it eased off but after the 3rd year - it was making me vomit seldom - but I often felt sick. I hatd that drug.
Are you still on the lithium? My levels were stable for years - then mine shot up too and I got a phone call from my GP the day I had the level done. He told me I almost toxic and that I must take any lithium for the weekend. He said I must be put on a lower dose. My pdoc paid no attention. He put me back on the 1400 mgs.
I have been seeing the home treatment team and one of the Pdoc's on the team. She said that high doses of medications may be as bad as too little. I am on 1000 mgs of lithium now as well as others.
It's a very low dose of Olanzapine you are taking. However, some people need higher doses of medication to work - others small doses. I have one friend who had a major psychotic episode and she is only on 25 mgs of largactile a day. Another friend is on 200 4 times a day. Since we are all individuals - our medications must be personalized too.
Good luck.
Jacqui

H

Hope4you

Lithium excretion

I was diagnosed two years ago (MA-HOOOSIVE HIGH)...been through it in hospital for a few months. When I came out I was on sodium valporate which thinned my hair so I was put on Lithium 400mg...up to 600 now back on 400mg. Was on 20 olanzopine, reduced through the years and now am off it since TWO DAYS AGO!!!

I have been very stable since, only one blip...kinda low week or two. But my litium level had shot up at that time!

Just today/last night I have had the low back and I don't know if it because I am off the olanzopine now. I've been on 2.5mg for a good few months so it can't make that much difference can it? Just I hate feeling like this, it may stop me from going out tonight :(
Hi,

Did your psychiatrist stress the importance of drinking plenty of water and some fruit juice, and of also taking a little salt in your diet to ensure you ex crete the lithium properly so the level does not rise too high, and so you can also take a high enough does safely which you may need to treat the symptoms properly, particularly in hot weather or if you have a fever or upset tummy ?

D

DELATEXT

Hi, hope you pick up soon , does listening to music help?? :grouphug:

S

suzy

Funny you say that I am a DJ so yeah music is what saved me and got me out of the low

I am feeling a lot better now. At least it only lasted a day. I just hate it when it comes down on you like that

Yeah I was told to drink lots of water, not fruit juice though I will drink more of that now thanks :)

Didn't know about the salt thing