New here and help needed please

C

Chrisuk

Hi, my name is Chris and I’m 36 years old, I’ve been suffering with anxiety since the end of June I think it stemmed from a panic attack I took in May this year my first ever and I had 2 after that but since the end of June I’ve had quite a lot of symptoms some quite scary, I feel fatigued daily, racing heart, chest pains, headaches, dizzy/lightheaded, my legs feel weak and I get a weird sensation in my legs which is hard to explain the feeling, when I fall asleep I wake up like 2 -3 hours later wide awake and can’t get back to sleep, for the first few weeks I did google my symptoms as I was really scared and thought I was dying some days I still wonder if the dr has wrongfully diagnosed me as I’ve only had blood tests done for a few things and a 5 minute ecg, I will be greatful of any answers as this is really affecting my life at the moment. Thanks

C

Chrisuk

yes was given beta blockers which didn’t agree with me so only took them twice, then when I told the dr they prescribed me diazepam but when I read about them and how hard they can be to get off I decided not to take them, I’d rather beat this without medication if that’s possible, I’ve just started reading the book DARE not sure if it will help but it’s worth a try 🙂 I just find it really hard to deal with

Lunus

Lunus

Hi, my name is Chris and I’m 36 years old, I’ve been suffering with anxiety since the end of June I think it stemmed from a panic attack I took in May this year my first ever and I had 2 after that but since the end of June I’ve had quite a lot of symptoms some quite scary, I feel fatigued daily, racing heart, chest pains, headaches, dizzy/lightheaded, my legs feel weak and I get a weird sensation in my legs which is hard to explain the feeling, when I fall asleep I wake up like 2 -3 hours later wide awake and can’t get back to sleep, for the first few weeks I did google my symptoms as I was really scared and thought I was dying some days I still wonder if the dr has wrongfully diagnosed me as I’ve only had blood tests done for a few things and a 5 minute ecg, I will be greatful of any answers as this is really affecting my life at the moment. Thanks
Do you suffer with a general anxiety disorder or is it a social anxiety?

C

Chrisuk

I’m not sure as the dr didn’t say what anxiety I have, I don’t feel anxious going out in public, I get symptoms when I’m in my house or when I’m out so maybe a bit of both, I know I have health anxiety as I panic about each new symptom 🙁

A

Aurelius

Hello Chris and wecome to the forum.

The symptoms you describe do fit in with anxiety - especially panic attacks (this includes your sudden waking and continued wakefulness). However, it is important that you are checked for any underlying or accompanying medical condition that might have similar symptoms or contribute to your anxiety symptoms.

You should especially be checked for possible atrial fibrilation or other arrhythmias, as these can be potentially life threatening and do not always show up on a standard ECG. These conditions but can be investigated by the use of a Holter monitor. The monitor works by continuously recording your heart's electrical activity for 24 to 48 hours.

Whatever the reason is for your symptoms, the distress they are causing you suggests that you may need to investigate stressors in your life. GP referral for psychological or counselling input may help with this, as well as helping you identify anxiety management strategies that specifically work for you.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Perhaps go back to your Doctor and tell them everything you have written here regarding your symptoms...

C

Chrisuk

hello Aurelius, thank you for your reply I’ve been to the dr a few times and they don’t seem to be interested in checking me for anything else I just get told it’s anxiety 🙁even when I took a panic attack in May before I had these symptoms the paramedic said it could of been caused by an underlying health problem, how do I go about getting the 24-48 hour heart monitor? Because they haven’t suggested one, do I ask them? I really appreciate your response 🙂

C

Chrisuk

hi OCDguy, I’ve told the doctors all my symptoms and they just dismiss it and say it’s anxiety, thank you for your reply

A

Aurelius

I would certainly ask for this. At a personal level, despite asking for his racing heartbeat symptoms to be checked in case there was a cardiological problem, one of my sons who suffers badly from anxiety and panic attacks was constantly fobbed off with being told his symptoms were simply part of his anxiety - until he had to be rushed into hospital with serious atrial fibrilation. We were then asked why this had not been followed up before....

C

Chrisuk

Hi Aurelius, I’m really sorry to hear about your son and hope he is ok, I can’t even say to my doctor I’m worried about my heart rate as the first thing he says is there you go using the word worry that’s typical anxiety and I’m sick of it, maybe a 24/48 hour heart monitor would be good for me but I’m unsure how to go about it, thank you for your reply 🙂

L

Laudanum

When I had a 24 hour holter monitor (which records your ECG) it was a referral from A&E to the doctors. I'd start with the doctors and explicitly request one, as you are not convinced it's just anxiety.

Lunus

Lunus

Just to let you know I had similar symptoms although I also used to faint, and even had an ECG as a kid. It wasn’t until my forties I found out the reason, I suffered from Social Phobia. If it is a severe anxiety disorder I would be very careful refusing medication, just be mindful.

A

Aurelius

Like Laudanum, I was going to suggest that next time your heart is racing and your symptoms are bad you go to A&E. That is how my son and other people I have worked with have managed to get the investigations they need. If your symptoms get to being particularly severe, do not hesitate to call an ambulance via 999. I am afraid your GP sounds to be far from professional in his response to your specific situation. As a health professional he should not be 'second-guessing' your health when you have had repeat symptoms.

With regard to beta-blockers, there is evidence to suggest that they can block some of the pro-arrhythmic effect of high levels of stress and/or anxiety - by reducing adrenaline levels and blood pressure and by slowing the heart. Maybe this is the reason your GP prescribed them. It would be interesting to know which beta blockers were prescribed, as some of the newer generations of beta blockers have specific cardioselective properties such as rapidly reducing hypertension, fast heart beats, etc.