• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

New groups for young people (aged 12-18) who hear voices (London)

R

Rachel Waddingham

Hi all,

I've got some great news :) Mind in Camden launched Voice Collective in April and we're now on the verge of launching our first peer support groups for young people who hear, see or sense things that others don't. The first group will be on:

Thursdays, 4.45 - 5.45pm (opening at 4.30pm to give people chance to chill and chat)
@ The Anna Freud Centre, Maresfield Gardens, London, NW3

It's open to any young person aged between 12-18 who has experience of hearing, seeing or sensing things that other people don't. If you know someone who may be interested in this, please let them know about it.

If anyone wants to come along, all they need to do is contact me ([email protected]) or call 020 7241 8978 and I can tell them a bit more about it. I've attached a flyer for the group to this post.

Also, we're running two workshop sessions for parents/carers/supporters of young people who hear, see or sense things that others don't. These are running on:

Monday 30th November AND Monday 7th December
6 - 8.30pm (5.45pm for refreshments)
@ The Anna Freud Centre (Maresfield Gardens, NW3)

If you (or someone you know) would like to come along - please get in touch. We'll give you some more info and book you a place.

This really is exciting stuff, so I hope you can spread the word to any young person/parent/worker in the London area that might benefit from it.

Thanks for your help

Warm thoughts

Rachel
www.voicecollective.co.uk

R

Rachel Waddingham

Hi Terri,

Sorry I've offended you - the post was just intended to let people know about the group in case they know someone who might benefit from it. It's definitely not about illness, or about 'treating' people - it's just about offering young people a place to talk with other people who understand what they're going through (rather than being isolated or feeling 'mad' or alone).

My voices aren't so much of a gift, but I know people whose voices are - we're all different and our experiences are unique. The up side is that, although they're quite negative, they help me keep a handle on what's going inside my head (which is helpful, I think). I definitely don't believe that voices are about illness - sometimes they can cause people to be distressed, or distress can cause the voices themselves, but not always. In fact, those who are distressed by it are in the minority (as far as I'm aware).

I know there are lots of ways of understanding voices/visions. Everyone should have the chance to work out what they're own experiences are for themselves, without having ideas and explanations forced on them. That's what the groups are about - not selling one way of looking at things, but providing space for people to find their own way through things.

I first went to a group in my early 20s and it was a really helpful thing to meet other people. The biggest benefit for me was feeling part of something, not feeling crazy and finding ways of making sense of my voices outside of the way psychiatry had given me (I'd been told I had schizophrenia, but that just didn't work for me - it just left me feeling really powerless and 'ill' - going to the voices group helped me get my life back). I still hear 4 different voices, see things and get worried about people stealing my thoughts when I'm stressed - but that's just me ... I'm dealing with it (like lots of people are).

Hopefully the group will be useful for some people, but it's not going to be for everyone. That's ok, though. We all need different kinds of support in our lives. If the groups are helpful to the people who come to them, then that's a really good thing.

Perhaps I should have explained all that before posting, but I hope that my motivation for setting up these groups is a little clearer now.

x Rachel

(Just to clear a few bits up: Am not a tai chi instructor, but I do use tai chi to help me deal with some of the distressing bits of my experiences. Am a newbie at it really - definitely not enlightened in any way. For me, it really helps tho. The MadNOTBad website is something I set up years back, when I wasn't working, with the aim of helping people showcase their opinions, creativity and experiences. It's not something I get paid for and it's not part of Voice Collective)

D

deano69

Nice one Rachel hope things are going Fine with the new service for young people,will be down london in the next couple of weeks so might pop in for a brew allthough you,ll proberly be hideing up stairs in ther office like last time lol:)have a great weekend will talk soon xDeano xx:D

D

doptradgeannajim

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi Rachel

Did I say something, to you at our last meet up, for I apologise most profoundly. So hope we tan still be friends.

So how goes if Deano69 and all the rest from the old crowd.

Hope to hear from you all soon one day, and guess I was picked for something awesome. So awesome we could nop nop nop tell you and what it was was.

Oh pm me ob coarse and I will tell all.

Terri's in Transilvania ap ap ap zhu mo and well Ball's up for some and others well over the top and so I got tow go and post this now because I am running outta times and well newspapers are zoe nop in and nop nop pin and so now we godda god darn well do somefin awesome and dust a post tuh dhis and well he was one ossa us and then he was nop and then we knew he was and then we knew he was nop and so on and snow balls and then yo yos and then comes zon in through my bedroom and uses my body to see how if ip works and worries nop and so he goes soft on me aden and so now i am so on no one and so now we are sorta all on zuh balls and we are so on the balls and dust dirfts soff for a mo k or two and so we need a moke and moke it tis and do no go back to alter ip from mo k to moke and so you do thap and so i am fed up tow doh back teeth wib havin no money so I am sortin ip now so ta and tot tar