• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

New girl. Carbamazepine??

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

Hi People,

I have just recently been diagnosed with Bipolar type 2. Gotta have blood tests next before i start the medication. Bit anxious about it all. Thought i'd join this forum to chat to others. I think one of the medications they are going to put me on is called Carbamazepine. Has anyone been on this before??
:)

Attachments

Lupus Albus

Lupus Albus

Hi Lynnie. New girl here too. I have used Carbamazepine although I couldn't use it for too long as it gave me real bad headaches. Carbamazepine is only used to treat mania, and not depression, so you may be prescribed antidepressants to go along side this; a treatment of which there is a bit of ambiguity surrounding the effectiveness. For me personally, I found that mood stabilisers helped a lot more.

harad x

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

Thanks for the reply Harad, :)

Ive not started it cause my blood test results havent come back yet. God, i hope i dont get headaches, i already suffer migraines.

My psychiatrist have prescribed me the carbamazapine as a mood stabalizer? He has also prescribed me Seroquel (Quetiapine) for the depression side.

Im still tryin to come off the Escitalopram too which im strugglin with after bein on them for so long..

So what are you takin now? x

Lupus Albus

Lupus Albus

Yeah pretty much how it goes really - you'll be taking one to combat highs, and one to combat lows. Seroquel is pretty efective for treating the lows, but can make you very sleepy. It used to knock me out ha!

Never taken Escitalopram, but I do know a thing or two about discon symptoms. Just hang in there, it'll get better soon!

Over the years I've taken a cornucopia of meds, and have never liked any of them to tell you the truth. Currently I'm taking Lithium and Divalproex for my rapid cycling, and Dozic for when I get really high.

All in all though, its nothing to worry about. All meds have side effects, but by working closely with your doc you should hopefully find something that works for you. I hope you do, and if you ever need to talk about anything, Im here.

Harad x

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

Yeh a few people have said they knock you out!

Well like you said its all trial and error really isnt it..

Thanks for replyin and you can contact me anytime too should you need anyone.

xx:grouphug:

Emily-Rose

Emily-Rose

I hope all goes well with your new medication.

I'm on Seroquel at the minute, it knocks me out every night! But it works for me, and when I'm anxious, gives me a sudden feeling of calm.

Emily.x

P

Paw Print

Hello, I am new as well.

I am taking Epival for the highs, which works very well for me, and am currently taking wellbutrin for the lows but am not finding it helping much.

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

I hope all goes well with your new medication.

I'm on Seroquel at the minute, it knocks me out every night! But it works for me, and when I'm anxious, gives me a sudden feeling of calm.

Emily.x
Hey Emily,

Im startin my Seroquel tomora and the carmabazapine.. What dosage of seroquel are you on? xx:p