New girl BP II

emski

emski

Hi everyone,

Nice to find this place :)

I was diagnosed with Bipolar II in Feb 2008 after a four week stay in hospital following a low period followed by a very high one. I have been treated for depression for about ten years (I'm 26 now) and have always felt very high and low periods in my life. My childhood was difficult, my father is an alcoholic and I was a very emotional and troubled kid. Despite my troubled childhood I've gone on to somehow excel in school, uni and work, yet found myself very depressed this last year with serious sleep and mood disturbances and having to take a long break from work.

However, in Jan this year I began to experience an elevated mood that lasted about six weeks until my admission to hospital in mid Feb. I drank to try and sleep (because it was impossible) and ended up taking pills/coke/amphetamine to try and continue my highs and escape from the insomnia and waking dreams (I got to the point where I didn't want to sleep becaue it was too frightening). I've had CBT, 1:1, and group psychothearpy. I was initially prescribed quetiapine and escitalopram by my psychiatrist, but couldn't tolerate the nausea and increase in already terrible anxiey by the escitalopram, nor the 'druged-up-ness' and associated low blood pressure and fainting from the quetiapine. I'm now on Depakote and mirtazipine - I think the Depakote is doing well to stabilise my highs, though I feel that the mirtazipine doesn't quite get there in levelling out my lows... I've been on it 3 months now...

Can any other bipolar sufferer advise as to an antidepressant used in conjunction with Depakote that has had better results?

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi emski and :welcome: to MHF :flowers:. Hope you find the help and support here on this friendly forum.

Sorry am unable to give any advice on BP 11, as at the mo only have depression myself! Others will be along soon :hug:

emski

emski

Thanks!

Thanks Libra! So nice of you to make me feel welcome :hug:

D

Dollit

Hi Emski. My consultant tends to advise against the use of antidepressants in Bipolar people because they can make the highs higher. Depakote can be effective as a mood stabiliser on it's own (I've used it in the past) but now use Lithium. Perhaps you should raise that as something to talk about. However, different antid's work differently on different people. What works for some doesn't work for others. I have an emergency antid (quetiapine) which is successful for me but don't take them routinely.

emski

emski

Ta Dollit. I will raise this next time I see my consultant! I think he wants to avoid Lithium if possible though, as I have rapid cycle too and my mood has been consistently low lately. Also hate the weight gain!

Thanks for your advice x

lucid scream

lucid scream

i had no success with bipolar drugs till i tried lamictal. i take that and quetiapine 3 times a day and i do as well as can be expected.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hi everyone,

Nice to find this place :)

I was diagnosed with Bipolar II in Feb 2008 after a four week stay in hospital following a low period followed by a very high one. I have been treated for depression for about ten years (I'm 26 now) and have always felt very high and low periods in my life. My childhood was difficult, my father is an alcoholic and I was a very emotional and troubled kid. Despite my troubled childhood I've gone on to somehow excel in school, uni and work, yet found myself very depressed this last year with serious sleep and mood disturbances and having to take a long break from work.

However, in Jan this year I began to experience an elevated mood that lasted about six weeks until my admission to hospital in mid Feb. I drank to try and sleep (because it was impossible) and ended up taking pills/coke/amphetamine to try and continue my highs and escape from the insomnia and waking dreams (I got to the point where I didn't want to sleep becaue it was too frightening). I've had CBT, 1:1, and group psychothearpy. I was initially prescribed quetiapine and escitalopram by my psychiatrist, but couldn't tolerate the nausea and increase in already terrible anxiey by the escitalopram, nor the 'druged-up-ness' and associated low blood pressure and fainting from the quetiapine. I'm now on Depakote and mirtazipine - I think the Depakote is doing well to stabilise my highs, though I feel that the mirtazipine doesn't quite get there in levelling out my lows... I've been on it 3 months now...

Can any other bipolar sufferer advise as to an antidepressant used in conjunction with Depakote that has had better results?

Hello and :welcome: to MHF.
Anti-D's work differrently for everyone so perhaps a word with your gp might help .

Hope you find lot's of support here :flowers:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi there and welcome to the MHF.:welcome: There a friendly lot on here so i hope you can get the support you want.

Im also on Depakote and find it one of the best i have tried,I also take Sertraline AD and Buspirone for anxiety. Normally between that lot it keeps me on an even keel, but just lately ive had a bit of a blip. No two people are the same, so what works for one wont necessarly work for another, its a case of trial and error till you find one that suits you.

It can also take 2-3 months b4 ADs kick in properly, but on your next hospital visit discuss it with your psych and get his opinion as to whether another may be more suitable
xx

S

Stripey

Founding Member
Hi

Sorry, i also can't help with meds.

I just wanted to say hi. My father was an alcoholic too, i'm 27 (almost 28 ahhhh). A lot of the inadvertent lessons i learnt as a kid (don't tell anyone your father drinks etc), are lessons that are still with me today and i have to battle with them not to let them control my life (trusting people is my biggy).

I see a therapist, and Bipolar is a word getting discussed between us.

Anyway, just wanted to say lot of what you said rang a bell with me and i only came to the Forum a little while ago but have found it really friendly and supportive.
Stripey