• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

New diagnosis

E

Eli1980

I was previously diagnosed with schizophrenia but now with psychotic disorder. What does this mean?
Thanks for any replies

Kygoldy

Kygoldy

I thought pshycotic disorders is schizophrenia

J

JustARide

I have been diagnosed with Psychotic disorder but am sure I have schizophrenia. I find it very unhelpful being labeled psychotic disorder as I find it a very unspecific diagnosis. Im really struggling with negative symptoms which when I've looked into are totally in sync with schizophrenia, I would find it easier to deal with everything if I was told which psychotic disorder I actually have!

Mothman

Mothman

@JustARide How long have you had these problems? I think they only dx schizophrenia if it's been present at least 6 months. Also, a tricky thing is that the negative symptoms have huge overlap with other disorders. I was first diagnosed with schizophreniform disorder because at the time, it had not been present for 6 months.

S

Stormycat

@Eli1980 you’d think doctors know everything but some are only booksmart, I think seeking second and third opinions are very important.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
one psychiatrist said get 7 psychiatrists get 7 different diagnoseses

they have their fads at one point they say lets avoid the schitzoprenia diagnosis because it's stigmatising them but they've put you on drugs that make you unfit for work, and social services and the benefits are out to make cuts so they say yes he's not schitzoprenic he's not in need, then some other psychiatrist sees you after you've deteriated due to total poverty and reinstates the diagnosis

S

Stormycat

@ramboghettouk I don’t believe that. If 2 of 3 doctors prescribe the sane medication and if the medication works, then their diagnosis is right. Ignore the label if you feel it stigmatized.

J

JustARide

@Mothman hey, thanks for your message. I had symptoms of psychosis for a lot longer than 6 months after stopping my quetiapine. I got so ill that my gp called crisis and got me a next day assessment with psychosis team. I then was under cmht for around a year and wasn't discharged until new meds were working and I wasn't psychotic anymore. I havnt spoken to anyone about the negative symptoms I have though and I've had them for a good year... I sleep for 12-15 hours and then still hate getting up... I hate going out of the house and avoid spending time with people except for going to work, I used to shower twice a day and now if I'm off work I've gone a week without even thinking about having a shower... I used to be really sociable but now all I want is to be alone. I thought it was side effects from my meds at first but now think its negative symptoms of whatever is actually wrong. I got a phone call today saying I'm due a mental health review so I'll tell them all about this stuff then, but don't expect it to make a difference. I just wish I had a clear diagnosis whatever it may be.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
@Stormycat IF they diagnose you schitzoprenic it's basically writing you off if later you get better and you may recover work they then say it's a mistaken diagnosis, it's not a question of the meds working the meds don't work in terms of making you seriously fit for work

S

singsongfun

My psychiatrist told me that a diagnosis of Psychosis Not Otherwise Specified can be used when psychosis is not as severe as that in schizophrenia.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i remember asking my gp not to mention it on a job medical.he said there are health benefits to be gained, if i hadn't given my gps name and permission to contact him the employer would have guessed a reason behind it

anyway i never got the job they realised i'd made up the employment history at the interview