• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New Diagnosis

D

Dal

I was newly diagnosed with OCD. I asked my doctor did he think I really had that, his response was very quick and definite. I thought that since I didn't check things repeatedly, or count things, that I didn't it...or had a very mild case at leasdt.

I thought over the few things that I do, and think. I do have a past of little things here and there, and then one or too large phases of particular compulsions. To me, they were so....watered down (for lack of a better term) that they just seemed like a little quirk.

Now that I have to monitor my behavior and write things down, I am seeing how much I actually avoid things that make me uncomfortable.
They weren't watered down, but just every day things for me.

Other than just google,is there any credible reading material on OCD? I would like to know more, and maybe find what relates to anything I've experienced.

W

Wanttofeelpeace5

can ocd be the thought of wanting to have all your thoughts organised but material things a little messy ?

D

Dal

interesting question. Like intrusive thoughts?

W

Wanttofeelpeace5

yes . almost like a filing cabinet in your head but if you cant file it away until you are happy with the answer then wouldn't that be a form of ocd ?

D

Dal

I can't diagnose, but it sounds similar to somethings in my head

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

I’ve done some surfing. Let us know what you think and learned.

Most people with OCD fall into one of the following categories:
  • Washers are afraid of contamination. They usually have cleaning or hand-washing compulsions.
  • Checkers repeatedly check things (oven turned off, door locked, etc.) that they associate with harm or danger.
  • Doubters and sinners are afraid that if everything isn’t perfect or done just right something terrible will happen, or they will be punished.
  • Counters and arrangers are obsessed with order and symmetry. They may have superstitions about certain numbers, colors, or arrangements.
  • Hoarders fear that something bad will happen if they throw anything away. They compulsively hoard things that they don’t need or use. They may also suffer from other disorders, such as depression, PTSD, compulsive buying, kleptomania, ADHD, skin picking, or tic disorders.

• Like a needle getting stuck on an old record, OCD causes the brain to get stuck on a particular thought or urge.

• Compulsions are behaviors or rituals that you feel driven to act out again and again. Usually, compulsions are performed in an attempt to make obsessions go away

• What is OCD? Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) has two main parts: obsessions and compulsions. Obsessions are unwelcome thoughts, images, urges, worries or doubts that repeatedly appear in your mind. They can make you feel very anxious (although some people describe it as 'mental discomfort' rather than anxiety)

D

Dal

Thanks for the info scapes1986.