New Diagnosis of Schizoaffective Disorder

fazza

fazza

I normally post in the schizophrenia forum as that is what I was diagnosed with. However I went to see my doctor today and she now thinks because of my depressive episodes and sometimes of elated mood she has changed my diagnosis to schizoaffective.

I am to start lithium next week after some bloods and I am to stop haloperidol and start Latuda. This is one drug that I have not tried so I am hoping for good results from this combo.

My mood is still through the floor but I feel a bit better today after chatting with the doctor.

Also my C.P.N called my wife to say that at the moment I can not drive which is a bit disappointing as its the only escape that I can get but I suppose it is for the best as I am taking risks that are dangerous and I see that now.

Feel a bit more in control of my feelings now.

Hiya to everyone in this section.

N

natalie

Fazza hi,

Thanks so much for the update, I am so glad that you are now feeling much better after having seen the doctor.

Well I am pleased to see that you have now got a much better diagnosis.

Ah well, in view of mental health and in particular having been in depressive episodes, and judging by your previous posts, it's now always best and safe idea, not to then be driving. Are they going to notify the DVLA?
At all? They need to be advised.

I remember when my father had his temporary illness incident/accident in the car, (i wouldn't now like to recollect too much) and the Police Officer who was an excellent and friendly one, said to us, mum and myself, he wouldn't be able to drive. So we thought that would be a nusiance, owing to the fact mother doesn't drive. I always by buses, which was the case anyhow, to help out mum, at that time, I limited, my volunteering which also was bit of a big nusiance, for me.

So I can appreciate, judging by your previous posts, regarding your depressive episodes, that it is always best and safer not to drive.

Therefore, i request, and advise, strongly that you do maybe request your wife to notify the DVLA, if she hasn't already done so. It's best to get that done, quick, and preferably by the weekend. Don't leave it until the Monday next week.

I do eventually wish you very much better.

And an eventual ok recovery through medication.

Take care now, oh and another pointer, please do take your meds daily and regularly on long time basis, any big gaps, are likely to be seen as relapses, do please take note of this.

Natalie.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi Fazza,
Hope the new drugs stabilise your symptoms, I often wonder if I have schizoaffective or bi-polar as I get the depressive episodes and elated moods.
I am changing psychiatrists, hope all goes well for you. Must be a pain with the driving, however better to be safe.

Take care

FunkTheFear

FunkTheFear

Glad you are feeling a bit more positive fazza x

fazza

fazza

Can't wait to get these new tablets today. They are called latuda. They Also spoke about me going back on clozapine again but this time by adding lithium this should help keep my white blood cells up as I have tried it twice and failed both times.

Woke up this morning and I must have slept funny as my back and shoulder is killing me.

Hopefully my new meds will be here at 4 but they are having trouble getting them in.

Any thoughts on latuda would be great

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I hope they finally straighten out your meds and you start feeling better soon. I wish the best for you. It was the other way around for me. I was diagnosed schizoaffective for ten years and they changed it to schizophrenia because I didn't have any affective symptoms(was depression) for years, but I kept the psychotic symptoms.

J

Jennmarilyn

Hi there! I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder many years ago and have started a video blog (YouTube) that I would like to share. I am hoping to inspire others, to provide support and to gain support from others. Hope you take the time to check it out, thanks!
- Jenn

H

HedgeCobra

Hi there,

As someone who's been through a lot of different medications, I'm now just on Lithium and it seems to be doing the trick.

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder during a 9 month stay in hospital. Of which I was sectioned numerous times. Put on medications I had no say in. Haliperidol for example, combined with diazapam (a massive dose)... Turned me into a zombie.

However during this time, the meds caused me to develop neuroleptic malignant syndrome. Which was life threatening. I urge anyone going through recovery to make sure they know the risks of what medications can cause. As it very nearly ended my life.

Anyway, on a positive note, having read the OP, I'd definately give Lithium a chance. It takes a while to get to the correct dosage, the side effects are a bit crap to start with but they tend to disappear. My mood is amazing, consistently good. I wake up good, great energy, feeling positive about the day ahead.

As for anti psychotics, the best I've been on is arirpiprazol. Hardly any side effects other than making you feel a bit too awake during the night. I'm a bit sensitive to medication so this one really helped with my psychotic symptoms. Thankfully I'm no longer on it and survive now just on Lithium.

J

JoeArci

Tell me your symptoms

To Mayflower 7...
What are your symptoms maybe I could you help you to see if it's really schizoaffective. I'm not a doctor but know what constitutes this diagnosis.

J

JoeArci

To Mayflower 7...
What are your symptoms maybe I could you help you to see if it's really schizoaffective. I'm not a doctor but know what constitutes this diagnosis.

vanish

vanish

Hey fazza,

I took Latuda 80mg for quite a long time (years) and it worked quite well for me. I only changed because it put a fair bit of weight on my bones because you have to have it with a meal. I'd forget to take it and then have to make another meal to take it. You also feel really weird if you drink alcohol and take it (like the accentuates the drunk feeling). Other than that it was pretty good. My psychiatrist isn't yet sure if I am schizophrenic or schizoaffective, both diagnoses have been thrown around a fair bit and hence, the mood stabilising effect of Latuda was thought to be a good option.