• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

New BPD ideas from my therapist

D

donohio60

Has anyone else talked to their therapist/dr about new thoughts in the mental health field about BPD? My therapist is talking about BPD and complex PTSD. I am reading up on complex PTSD which I had never heard of and it's interesting. Curious if anyone else has thoughts on it.

Tawny

Tawny

Taking a break
Do you think you have one or both conditions?

In the UK, i think it is called emotion regulation disorder. I don't think we have CPTSD officially but i believe it explains cause and effect much better than the term personality disorder.

B

Butterfly3

Do you think you have one or both conditions?

In the UK, i think it is called emotion regulation disorder. I don't think we have CPTSD officially but i believe it explains cause and effect much better than the term personality disorder.
So in the UK different doctors use different terms, most I met prefer to use the old term BPD but some call it the new term emotionally unstable personality disorder or EUPD. We do have CPTSD, I have a friend who was diagnosed, originally with BPD but then got rediagnosed with CPTSD, it’s a form of PTSD but with more than one trauma and more complex. I think the two are very similar diagnoses and they have very similar symptoms but both resulting from very different causes and having very different effects.

B

Butterfly3

What did your therapist say about CPTSD and BPD? Like I said above I had a friend who was diagnosed with BPD, went and completed DBT but still struggled and went to therapy for trauma she was struggling with and ended getting her diagnosis replaced with CPTSD. I think the symptoms are very similar but both resulting for different reasons. CPTSD is from complex trauma a person has been through while BPD is a personality disorder.

Tawny

Tawny

Taking a break
So in the UK different doctors use different terms, most I met prefer to use the old term BPD but some call it the new term emotionally unstable personality disorder or EUPD. We do have CPTSD, I have a friend who was diagnosed, originally with BPD but then got rediagnosed with CPTSD, it’s a form of PTSD but with more than one trauma and more complex. I think the two are very similar diagnoses and they have very similar symptoms but both resulting from very different causes and having very different effects.
CPTSD was not in the ICD10, was it called? Maybe it is in a newer version. I am glad it is now included as i remember it was not officially there.

Tawny

Tawny

Taking a break
The International Classification of Diseases (ICD) identifies complex PTSD as a separate condition, though the DSM-5 currently does not. Complex PTSD is a relatively recent concept.

I just found this, sorry no link happened. I think DSM is the American equivalent. I am confused by BPD, EUPD, EDR and CPTSD. They seem to be trying to cover very similar things/causes/symptoms.

Tawny

Tawny

Taking a break
What did your therapist say about CPTSD and BPD? Like I said above I had a friend who was diagnosed with BPD, went and completed DBT but still struggled and went to therapy for trauma she was struggling with and ended getting her diagnosis replaced with CPTSD. I think the symptoms are very similar but both resulting for different reasons. CPTSD is from complex trauma a person has been through while BPD is a personality disorder.
But a personality disorder is often caused by trauma isn't it?
They don't seem to know what they are doing.
I always thought that anyway ;)
I am me, forget my diagnosis, i am me, nature and nurture combinations, predisposition to mental illness, symptoms, coping strategies, memories, experiences.

UnstableSolace

UnstableSolace

By mainly reading the key differences here, they’re really useful. If you want more information you can just message me.

HLon99

HLon99

Its kind of a grey area in psychology right now. Some believe that BPD is caused by complex and persistent exposure to trauma and therefore is closely related to C-PTSD. However, as things currently stand causes of C-PTSD are purely traumatic in nature. With BPD there are fundamental chemical differences in the brain that are usually apparent from early childhood reinforced by exposure to trauma, which is why personality disorders are often genetic.

P

Pheebee

Has anyone else talked to their therapist/dr about new thoughts in the mental health field about BPD? My therapist is talking about BPD and complex PTSD. I am reading up on complex PTSD which I had never heard of and it's interesting. Curious if anyone else has thoughts on it.
Yep I think I have that too .yes it's a relatively new thing .I think I have it due to the stress and severity of my mums mental health .the sectioning ,many lots of ect and mania/suicide attempts. Really affected me as a child n was a constant stress .ithink there is a high correlation between bpd n ptsd x

B

Butterfly3

The International Classification of Diseases (ICD) identifies complex PTSD as a separate condition, though the DSM-5 currently does not. Complex PTSD is a relatively recent concept.

I just found this, sorry no link happened. I think DSM is the American equivalent. I am confused by BPD, EUPD, EDR and CPTSD. They seem to be trying to cover very similar things/causes/symptoms.
I would agree that they seem to be trying to cover the same things / causes / symptoms but I think for very different reasons. I can’t speak about the others because I don’t know enough but BPD is a personality disorder that affects how a person thinks, feels and behave while ptsd which is to do with trauma which is a persons response to a deeply traumatic event. Don’t get me wrong a very high percentage of people with BPD have been through trauma but there are people who have BPD and haven’t been through any kind of trauma. CPTSD is about how someone is handling trauma while a personality disorder and specifically BPD is handling how someone thinks, feels and behaves.

If you look up the difference between CPTSD and BPD; “symptoms of BPD stem from an inconsistent self-concept and C-PTSD symptoms are provoked by external triggers.” And another website; “BPD is a complex disorder and affects every person differently. Common symptoms are emotional instability, erratic behavior patterns, and intense feelings of emptiness as well as a poor sense of self. Unlike PTSD, which is understood to be a fear-based disorder, complex PTSD is believed to be rooted in shame.”

If you look up the differences you can see that they are very different disorders for different reasons despite being similar in some ways.

Tawny

Tawny

Taking a break
I still see the cause as the same though. Maybe cptsd stems from a more severe or more obvious trauma, whereas bpd must come from something milder and chronic. I am not saying one is more damaging than the other, as chronic can be very damaging.

B

Butterfly3

I still see the cause as the same though. Maybe cptsd stems from a more severe or more obvious trauma, whereas bpd must come from something milder and chronic. I am not saying one is more damaging than the other, as chronic can be very damaging.
Obviously this is just my opinion I could be completely wrong but someone develops CPTSD because they have been through a severe and distressful trauma while a person develops BPD due to environmental factors and genetics, traumatic events that occur during childhood can also have an effect. I would say the cause is similar but also different, CPTSD is from trauma while BPD is from a lot of different factors however trauma can be a part of it.