• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

New Bipolar diagnosis

DianaS22

DianaS22

Hello,

I have been diagnosed with bipolar today and prescribed Risperidone. I am now worried about taking the drug. I feel like maybe I was just overly emotional in my appointment as it was overwhelming. I am thinking what if there actually isn't anything wrong with me and I have opened this huge can of worms for no reason.

Y

yololoyo

I would take the medication and try to communicate with your doctor. If you don't have it, try to make your doc understand why and see what they said. I went off my meds once because I was uncertain about my diagnosis. It didn't go well. I learned the hard way after having a bad manic episode and getting arrested. Treatment went on because of covid messing things up and the slowness of the system. All charges were dropped and everything worked out, but that was a long 20 months. I met a lot of people in there who made bigger mistakes just by being off meds and were locked up 10+ years. That is worst case scenario, but if you need meds things in your life WILL go south if you don't take them, even if that means your relationships just get worse. Be safe and work with your doc.

O

Orangeade

Hello,

I have been diagnosed with bipolar today and prescribed Risperidone. I am now worried about taking the drug. I feel like maybe I was just overly emotional in my appointment as it was overwhelming. I am thinking what if there actually isn't anything wrong with me and I have opened this huge can of worms for no reason.
Welcome to the forum! Thank you for sharing! If you have any worries about taking this medication, please talk to your doctor! Im hoping you can share more about your journey, i would love to see how you get on! Sending you love x

DianaS22

DianaS22

@Orangeade thanks, I am scared because I was overly upset at the doctors and now am thinking maybe I don't actually have Bipolar. I don't really have anyone to talk to.

O

Orangeade

@Orangeade thanks, I am scared because I was overly upset at the doctors and now am thinking maybe I don't actually have Bipolar. I don't really have anyone to talk to.
Im always here to talk to you! I have bpd, so know a little of what its like

K

keith74

@DianaS22It would be incredibly irresponsible and unprofessional for a psychiatrist to diagnose you with bipolar after one emotional appointment. They are supposed to take in various clear factors. If anything, psychiatrists typically are quite conservative in diagnosing someone.

What were the factors that led your pdoc to diagnose you?

DianaS22

DianaS22

@keith74
I have been back and forth to the doctors to do with mental health my whole adult life. But as I used to binge drink and smoke canabiss they always sent me away. I have been mainly sober bar a special occasion for some time now.

I had 2 episodes of hearing voices and seeing things a few months back which finally lead to my appointment with a psychiatrist yesterday.

I guess I do need them, think I was just freaking out yesterday as I didn't really have anyone to talk to about it. I didn't want to worry my parents and my partner isn't the best at talking.

I took the first dose last night and feel groggy today and still had a very emotional morning but spoken to family now so feeling a little more calm about it. Its just really overwhelming I guess time will tell with taking the meds.

K

keith74

@DianaS22 hearing voices and hallucinations would be something that would happen during psychosis... which can happen during a manic episode. I see why your doctor prescribed an antipsychotic then. Note that weed can also cause psychosis so that could be a factor.

Psychosis by itself doesn't mean you are bipolar however. The key is if you have ever been manic. Have you had episodes where you felt so energized that you could not sleep, felt super productive, your mind was racing, etc?

DianaS22

DianaS22

@keith74
ye my mind is racing I'd say 60% of the time, like I feel I am the one to answer all questions and I need to get more knowledge about everything. I also feel I am psycic and receive messages from the universe but that is just normal for spiritual people I though. I get super irritable and I am constantly snapping at people close to me. I also go through long bouts of depression where I feel like I can't be bothered to do anything, so will just get obsessed with looking at houses for sale or watching tv. Or I can get deeper depressions where I am just crying all the time and can't do anything much at all, I have attempted suicide on more than one occasion.

I have had people say to me maybe I am bipolar or even cyclothmatic. And looking back at what I have written and gone through in the past maybe it is right. I am worried these meds will ruin my life though, like do you get to feel any happiness at all. I used to take SSRI's and they just made me feel numb and think more practically about suicide.

Y

yololoyo

@DianaS22

Medication has worked wonders for me. I am on lithium and I am much happier than when I was unmedicated. I get no deep depressions and I have had no suicidal ideations since getting stable. I also have had no manias or even hypo manias while medicated so far, which is great.

I am not a psychiatrist and cannot confirm your diagnosis, but as someone with experiences with mania, I can relate to some of your descriptions. My mind was always racing and I felt a urgent drive to learn about all I could. I also was convinced I was psychic and receiving messages from the universe and both people I knew as well as celebrities. I am very glad that is behind me because it is an exhausting and lonely way to live.

The meds will not ruin your life if you communicate with your doctor and they are good at their job. If the side effects are too much or the symptoms aren't being treated, there are options. Not every drugs works equally in every person. Keep going and take your meds! Learn from my mistakes.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hey there I have been on an anti psychotic for bipolar for the past three years now and have experienced no side effects and no symptoms. I would take the meds as prescribed but keep your doctor in the loop as to any negative effects you are having from them. There are different alternatives for medication in treating bipolar psychosis and they may opt for trying an alternative with you should the Risperdone present too many negatives. It does seem from what you have described that you should be under doctors care for mental wellness. What you are being treated for and how you are being treated can change with time so it is always important to give your doctors the best possible feedback for optimal results. xo, j

Jam1990

Jam1990

I was on risperidone 3mg for a year. It really worked well for me in terms of getting me stable. Eventually I had a bad psychotic episode where I was certain that people were coming after me and I was losing sleep. My psychiatrist quickly took me off the risperidone and put me on Seroquel (quetiapine) because it helps with sleep more so than Risperidone.

I would say that you really just have to keep your doctor up to date on everything going on, especially with a new medication and a new diagnosis. The medication will not ruin your life though and the side effects you may experience tend to get better the longer you’re on it. I’m not sure if Risperidone has weight gain associated with it like other antipsychotics, but be mindful of that. When I started antipsychotics I started noticing that I was craving sugar more often. I eventually just cut sugar mostly out of my diet and I haven’t gain any weight at all.

Also, welcome to the forum. Glad you’re here and I hope you’ll keep us up to date on your journey.

Be well.

DianaS22

DianaS22

@yololoyo
thanks so much your insight makes me feel reassured as I have felt the same as what you have described.
I guess I have just been very overwhelmed even though deep down I have known something was up pretty much my whole life.

@JessisMe
Thanks doe your feedback also. Its good to hear people have not had side effects as this was my main worry about taking the meds

DianaS22

DianaS22

@Jam1990
I have been feeling people are after me most of my adult life. I constantly feel everyone is out to get me. I even get paranoid that my partner is sometimes.
I am looking forward to these meds kicking in now. Thank you for the welcome.

And thanks to all for the encouraging words