• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New Benefit Test Will Fail To Spot Illness And Disability, UK

F

firemonkee57

People with mental health problems who are frequently unable to complete more than two tasks in a row could be assessed as fit for work, under new revisions to the sickness benefit test outlined by the government last night (1).

Mind already has grave concerns that the Work Capability Assessment, the current test for sickness benefit Employment and Support Allowance, is not sophisticated enough to accurately measure when someone's mental health affects their ability to work. However, in a radical tightening of the criteria, revisions to the test proposed today will simplify the test further by slashing the sections relevant to mental health in half (3), prompting fears that tens of thousands of people with serious mental health issues could be stripped of their benefits and forced to look for work they are unable to do.

http://tinyurl.com/ylprly7

This government proves itself to be more and more corrupt,evil, and heartless by the day.
A spell in opposition would do it good. Maybe then Labour could regain the compassion and humanity that was one of it's greatest strengths.

A

amelie-louise

i had been on the sick for a while and had to go for a medical at the job centre, i was a mess and even the doctor assessing me looked concerned basically told me not to worry that she didnt think i was ready to go back to work...3 weeks later i got a letter saying my money had been stopped and that i was fit for work...it's rediculous when ive now had to go on job seekers which is difficult when you cant leave the house..lol..
A family friend has had a heart operation where consultants have said he is not to work under any circumstances and the job centre have even deemed him fit for work........
so if thats the case people with mh problems really don't stand a chance...

F

firemonkee57

I think they should train us to kill New Labour politicians. Evil bastards need to be obliterated off the face of the planet :mad:

A

amelie-louise

i agree,i'd train up for that...it is getting rediculous.....i do think getting out and about and working keeping busy can help with confidence but dont these people understand that we all have to do it in our own time...pushing people with mh problems will just make the whole situation worse for the individual, if your not ready to work then your not ready....And now we have to rely on some pen pusher who dont know anything about us to tell people there fit enough for work when there clearly not.....