• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New and nervous - yep thats me!

M

mollycat

Founding Member
Good afternoon ALL.

Just thought i would introduce myself - I am new to MHF and have posted on the Conversion Disorder section and documented a brief journey that lead me to join your wonderful forum on there in reply to JibbaJabba's post, a relief to find somewhere to share all this after years of being in the closet so to speak!

I had been suffering from suspected Neurological Disease suggestive of MS for quite some years but after many false starts it seems a diagnosis is more likely of CONVERSION DISORDER........a disorder where a person gets symptoms which suggest a serious disease of the brain or nerves (a M.S type neurological disease) but it is actually my brain converting past events or stresses into psychological illness, I know, I know, sounds wierd even to me but i am hopeful of a treatment and help from my upcoming psychiatric assessment in mid july.

I would like to say thank you to all those who have welcomed me and helped me feel much less "alone" I really appreciate it.

So here I am! Hello to you all and thank you xx

Mollycat:hug:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Hiya Mollycat... :welcome:

M

mollycat

Founding Member
Thanks for the welcome guys, hope you are all well this evening.

Take care Mollycat

:grouphug:

M

mollycat

Founding Member
HI Dollit,

Thank you yes I am well this evening, just worrying a little about what to expect from the psychiatric assessment, really not sure what to expect and though I may post a thred re: experience of it etc?? but not sure wiether its appropriate to ask, don't want to upset anyone i am just curious and cannot shake the feeling of "doom" about it all.

Overall it is the least of my problems though and in no way wish to burden anyone, so i guess i just try to keep an open mind.

Thanks for asking, did not intend to say that:oops: still a bit scared of talking about it.:redface:

Take care

Mollycat:hug:

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi mollycat and :welcome: to MHF we are here 24/7. Hope you make lots of new friends soon:flowers:

D

Dollit

Mollycat - the psychiatric assessment is really straightforward. First appointment takes about an hour. They want a general medical history, details of any mental health problems and large life events. They'll talk about family. They'll talk of what you've done in the past to combat problems and how you feel you're coping. There may be medication on offer and you may be given a diagnosis but don't worry it you're not. It's always (for me) the hardest appointment because it's as much about you getting to know the way they work. I've been seeing the same person for nearly 5 years and we get along very well - the education process is a two way thing and he trust my intelligence, judgment and insight to the nth degree. In fact he told me once I was the most well balanced person he knew and for a consultant senior lecturer to say that to some one with bipolar disorder it's quite a compliment! So please don't worry and try to get the best out of it. Let us know how you get on! :hug:

M

mollycat

Founding Member
A real big thank you for your reply Dollit :hug:

I feel I can cope with the assessment - BUT I don't really know the answers to most of those things ie: past life events, how I coped / dealt with them etc, and have a rubbish memory now too so struggle with recounting family events to a degree, I think that's the really hard part of conversion disorder in that I cannot link the illness to cause!! ?? my brain is doing that for me - it's very confusing and I feel out of my depth with the medical bod's at the moment. I too have borderline bi-polar and my GP is totally convinced it is all linked somewhere along the line, I have been assessed for BP many times and nothing really shows up conclusively so I am going down the conversion disorder route, as it seems I really am un-aware of my brain converting all the stress and past trauma over the years, instead of the classic depression / bi-polar episodes one would expect mine differ and manefest themselves in a physical disabilty in a neurolgical way, does any of this make sense to anyone??

Anyway the summary of what to expect is great and I do feel positive that some help is now available to me fingers crossed.

Take care Mollycat :hug:

D

Dollit

Just do the best you can at the assessment Mollycat. No one expects you to be word perfect and they even supply tissues! Conversion Disorder is an extreme form (from what I've read) of psychosomatic illness and it's associated in some cases with post traumatic stress disorder. You won't be aware of your brain making the symptoms - that would be something different all together. Let us know when your appointment is and we'll all send you good thoughts. :hug:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Introduce Yourself 2
R Introduce Yourself 8
allycat Introduce Yourself 10
M Introduce Yourself 4
A Introduce Yourself 6