New and I may have OCD

R

Reeves777

Hi! I have noticed symptoms of OCD this past year. I haven’t been diagnosed or seen anyone about it because of the cost. Starting at around the beginning of the year I feel like my brain and how it works started to change drastically. I keep getting fears of something going wrong. Many thoughts of “what if”. I get scared that I’ll hurt someone accidentally. This has lead to me checking locks, stoves, faucets, every room in my home, before I leave my house. I’ve even turned around and go home just to check again while driving to work.

I constantly plan for every worse case scenario. I would have a plan A, B, C and so on for everything! It’s exhausting! After social interactions I always analyze in my head if I did anything wrong or offensive. The weird thing is that I know that nothing is wrong and that it’s not the end of the world if I do one wrong little thing but my brain tells me otherwise. My brain just feels like it doesn’t cooperate with me.

All of these feelings are especially worse after a night of drinking alcohol. The next day I start panicking with thoughts of shame and “what if” even though I know I did nothing wrong and that it was just a nice fun night. I can’t shake it.

So I joined this forum for advice and to see if there’s others out there that are going through the same thing. I am a male in my late 20’s.

exyz

exyz

Hello to you Reeves and welcome to the forum.:welcome:

We have all sorts of conditions here and all sorts of shapes sizes and ages.

We try and support each other.

Have you had any medical advice so far?

B

Balheim

:welcome: Reeves, good to have you!

I'm new here too and was diagnosed with OCD a few years ago. I'm not a doctor or anything but the things you describe (the checking, feeling of dread, pouring over thoughts) I and others here will experience daily so your not alone.

A huge helping hand will be to develop strategies to manage the invasive thoughts. So for example you could set yourself a goal that you are not going to check the locks more than once or twice (can even take a cheeky photo on ur phone once you've checked as proof to the nagging voice in your head). Once you've checked resist the urge to check again. You will feel like your skin is crawling but just do your best, even look at the photo if you need to.

It's like building a muscle gradually over time that horrible dread will become less and less impactful the more you challenge it.

Things like writing down how this process makes you feel, what your worries are will also help if you manage to speak to someone who can diagnose and treat you as you can present them with more info.