• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

new and confused

S

sandyp196

hi i have suffered mental health issues for years. i lost everything My husband, child, job and home. My doctor is lovely and supportive but constantly diagnoses me with depression and anxiety. i now have a serious eating disorder to, plus severe agraphobia, mood swings, paranoia, ocds and all kinds of phobias and social difficulties. i have lost my friends, alienated my family to the point their treatment of me is abusive. I got evicted from my flat earlier this year for not opening mail or responding to an eviction notice for rent arrears. i was given a tenancy support worker and things have started to slowly change.
i have been through a lot over the last 15 years. My doctor keeps doling out medication and a few months ago i absolutely refused to take anymore as i have some terrible side effects and my mental health doesnt inprove either. im wary of taking strong meds when my doctor shows very little interest in getting me properly assessed.
Am i being unreasonable?
im frightened and worried for myself. i dont know whats wrong with me but its definitely more than depression. if it was depression then surely the depression medication they give me would have improved things?
i am back on some medication as i cant cope without anything. Im also addicted to strong painkillers.
It all sounds very dire but i have a reason for sharing this.
I have just been awarded pip (yesterday) and i scored highly. i only applied for mental health. i have been on low rate dla for 7 years and i was in a postcode to migrate to pip. I have waited months and months and truly thought i didnt have a hope of getting it.
i was awarded 28 points on daily living (enhanced rate) and 10 points on mobility..
planning journeys (standard rate). This is much more than a monetary award to me, although the sheer scale of the award will change my life as i live in terrible poverty right now. But just as importantly this pip award is the first validation i have ever had that i do suffer a serious mental health issue that affects how i can live my life. It mightl also make my family realise i dont choose to be like this.
Since getting this award i am thinking is it reasonable to insist my doctor gets me properly assessed. these pip assessments are difficult and i wouldnt have been awarded it if i didnt have an illness that they could assess. i have been waiting for CBT for three years. I have a life threatening eatind disorder that is now seriously affecting my physical health. This eating disorder started off as a small little problem but because i have no access to support it has escalated badly.
My tenancy support worker is cnvinced i have some kind of leanings to bipolar disorder. The pip assessor hinted at this too in the interview and in his written assessment. It also says the words 'undiagnosed mental health.' A few years ago the hint of bipolar would have really scared me but now it would be a relief to know what is wrong and to get the proper treatment.
i know this is long but if anyone can advice on some of my issues id be so grateful. This is the first time i have reached out to forums. The pip award has been so positive for me bth in terms of how it will drastically improve my life, plus the emotional validation. I hope pip will be positive for others with mental health difficulties as we were the group often ignored under the old dla system.
if you got to the end of this, thank you :)

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I am sorry you have been through this. Well done on been awarded pip. I hope it is the start of better days for you. One day at a time.

D

Desna

Take time to heal. You are a good person with lots of inner resources and strength. It takes time, but your healing will make you stronger.

You are not alone in your pain or struggles. Reach out when you need support.

The only thing certain in life is change. You have the strength to overcome your struggles and find peace.

Hugs to you :hug:

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
hello. i hope you can get a proper assessment soon.

S

sandyp196

thank you for the welcome and 'hugs' too. I was nervous posting here so its much appreciated. xx

R

Rose19602

:welcome: Sandy,

Sorry to hear how badly your MH has escalated and the impact this has had on you financially, emotionally and in terms of the drugs you have struggled with. The family issues are truly sad....that's support you could do with right now isn't it?

I think that the PIP award may help you to persuade your GP that you need further assistance.

Just my opinion....but try not to go down the route of thinking you have serious mental health conditions.
Yes, you are entitled to help with this eating disorder and your GP should refer you. It could quite possibly have evolved due to escalating emotions linked to the difficulties in your life.

I'd also take the pain killer addiction seriously as a cause of anxiety symptoms along with the stronger and stronger drugs your GP is prescribing to no effect.....these things can sometimes cause more problems than they solve. Don't be too quick to consider bipolar disorder.....keep an open mind and hold out for a proper assessment and the right help.

Waiting 3 years for CBT is unacceptable....has your GP definitely requested it? Waiting times are not that long anywhere in the country to my knowledge!!

Anyway, any questions on posting on the forum....please ask. You are most welcome here and there is no need to feel nervous at all. You are amongst people who understand.

x

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi Sandy and welcome to the forum.

You certainly sound as though you're having to cope with a lot at the moment. I hope you manage to get the help you need.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum.
Am sorry to hear things have been difficult. But good news about the PIP. xx

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

hello and welcome to the forums :welcome: