• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New all round...

W

worthit

I've come into a bit of a depression at the moment and am feeling quite overwhelmed by it all. I have been on Sertraline for I think 2.5/3 weeks, no sign of it helping me at all yet. Had bad side effects for the first week or so. Have been off work since I started them, and have this week and next signed off as well.

I am seeking refuge at my mother's at the moment so I am not alone as I wasn't good at home by myself. I'm not really any better here, but with no work and not having to necessarily take care of myself, it's a nice escape. But I still feel lost and alone and overwhelmed. I am panicking about eventually going back home and to work and having to be on my own and try to function.
I've gone through/am going through a break up at the moment which I know has exasperated the situation quite a large amount, I lived at my partner's house 6 nights a week and she was my best friend as well; so I have lost a large chunk of my support network - she has said she is still there for me and she wants to be the support I need, but I am finding it hard to cope with that so have had to cut contact. Feeling very alone due to that.

I don't live near family or friends.
I just want to feel ok again, I want to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I want my brain to work properly.
My mind's been working on overdrive and I've not been sleeping, but today I've woken up feeling very numb and out of it, and my emotions are all over the place. I have had a sleep on the sofa and managed to eat a little, but I am just very deflated today.

Should the sert have kicked in by now?
Any advice on how to try and help myself, if I can?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum.
I think it's different with each individual, but if the sertaline hasn't helped within a fortnight, then it seems as if you're either not on a high enough dose or that sertraline isn't the medication that's going to help you.
Obviously medication can only do so much as well. Have you been offered any counselling or talking therapies?
Am glad that you're staying with your Mum. Is she being supportive of you? I think if you can be around someone while you're feeling vulnerable, then that's a good thing.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i read that meds can take 4 or even 6 weeks to work depending on the person. when are you see your GP or whoever prescribed them next?

W

worthit

Thanks for the replies guys.
I am reluctant to try any talking therapies due to some bad forced experiences as a child and also just a general lack in thinking it'll be of any help to me. I know what all my issues are, I can reel a list of my issues to anyone that would ever ask, so I don't see that it would help - but everyone around me is practically begging for me to get referred for counselling.

My mum is being supportive, yes, however we don't have a great relationship so it's a bit difficult, but she is there if and when I need her, we just don't deal with things in the same way and it occassionally leads to arguments because I'm not acting a certain way and she takes it that I hate her and then it becomes this huge thing, when all it is is that I deal with my certain emotions in different ways from what she would do herself/expect.

I'm scared that I will continue to feel this low when I do eventually go back home - without anyone there for support or guidance. That immense feeling of loneliness haunts me and puts me into a bad spiral mentally and emotionally.

Helena - I have been travelling back down to my GP once a week at the moment (to get my sick notes and hand them in at work) and have been checking with her in regards to how I am feeling/side effects etc. She just keeps saying that I should start feeling the effects by the 3rd or 4th week. I am just starting the third week now and nothing as of yet. A part of me is worried she's going to keep fobbing me off; if they don't work and then I'll be no further forward than before I started on the Sertraline.

Really appreciate you guys taking the time out to comment. Thank you

W

worthit

So I've woken up today with my mind racing again, but it feels a bit more intense. My chest is a bit thump as well, which I'm trying to stop.
I feel a bit out of control today, like it's all stepped up a gear or something, I don't know. I know that's not going to be the case, but still. I'm obsessive with my thinking and actions so far as well, it's only minor and I can't really explain it, but it's almost like I just let my whirring brain take over, I don't know.

W

worthit

Trying not to work myself up.
Having an anxious day today and the knot in my stomach and chest and my thumpy heart were getting a bit much, so I thought it time to take my beta blockers. Thankfully it happened after I took them, but I smashed the bottle on the floor when I misguided where the table was. I'm trying not to panic about the fact I now don't have them to fall back on and to help when I feel anxious. I've been really good with my anxiety recently and it's just been my depression that I've had a problem with since I started on the Sertraline, really - so trying to convince myself it's no big loss as I don't need them that much anymore.

Really hope what I did take kicks in soon though….

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

hi i just wanted to welcome you to the forum :welcome:

W

worthit

Hiya, thanks guys. Another bad day today. Talked myself off the edge of a panic attack today, managed to organise an emergency prescription for beta blockers so hopefully that won't happen again. Back I go to taking those regularly it seems.
Think I'm mostly just going through the emtions from my break up today, otherwise, thankfully. Not that they're much better.

Trying to head back to normal life over the next week so am spending the weekend back near home, will spend the weekend at my friend's and then try Monday night at home on my own, before coming back up to my mothers' - then back home for good after the weekend, if work have got me set up for then.
Going to have had a month off if not more once I am back, not sure how that makes me feel.
Hitting a retail job after a month off, 3 days before christmas is probably not the best idea though!

W

worthit

Thank you.
Been a bit all over the place since. Came back home but spent 2 days at a friends', felt mostly ok - still not sleeping though. Came home yesterday just for the night and I've had a bit of a tough time.
I'm stuck in bed at the moment, have only had about an hour's sleep and need to get back up to my mothers' for the rest of the week. And my anxiety is through the roof again, beta blockers don't seem to be helping at all :-(

Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment and starting to panic about if I'm ready to go back to work next week. I am hating this and feeling quite misunderstood - I know everyone is trying to help, and they claim to know what I'm going through but their words don't seem to measure up to that.

F

fair&square75

Hi worth it...must be horrible going through all of this esp at time of yr....i have anxiety and depression,but when one subsides the other plays havov....we understand how u must feel,honestly we do its just sometimes people don't always have the right words. I take beta blockers (80mg propranol) & sertraline (50mg) I know everyone different,but usually by the time I actually go to see my GP am pretty much at rock bottom,I found the sertraline kicked I within a fortnight,I could eat better and sleep better and its kinda took the edge off the depression (been on these around 6 wks but have tried other antidepressants in the past)
....give it a little more time and just wait and see....i know that my betablockers aren't really working anymore because I've started to get palpitations and panic attacks again,but I've been on the same dose for yrs so I think I've built up a tolerance,I found eatin small things reguarly helps improve anxiety a little,plenty of water and I've cut out caffiene...
I also take fish oils...sometimes our brains and minds just need time to adjust I believe,hang on in there...give yourself time and just take little steps,even if u don't fancy takin a step don't...trick is to look after yourself when poorly like this and u have a better chance to recover from it (by that I mean I've turned to drink in past,not bn kind to myself and it took me long time to recover through that as opposed to if id just closed down, looked after myself etc) I'm.so sorry you are going through this,it really is unbearable and intolerable but you can get better,I've gone through it (worst anxiety I've had) when I was 27-30 (I'm 38 now) and finding it app comin bk,keep your hope because one day you will see that shade in the tunnel getting lighter,I promise u (I have recurrent depression and it can set anxiety off anytime,makes me bloody sick) keep posting worth it,always helps to get it out,maybe not right now,but further down the line you will realise its helped and maybe even one day when you get through this you could advise peoples like me �� take care x

W

worthit

Thank you so much for your kind words and your reply.
I am on 40mg Proponolol and 50mg sertraline, I don't think the Sertraline is working if I am honest, if anything my sleep is getting worse not better, I have been on it for 4 weeks now, back to the doctors next week at some point though so will mention this to her then.
A previous doctor has allowed me to take beta blockers up to 3 times a day, which I havn't yet done, but it didn't last even 8 hours this time before I had palpatations. I am sorry you are starting to build a resistance to it yourself - but I am glad that the Sertraline is working at least.

I agree, days like today where my mental state is a little better, the anxiety comes in in huge waves. Once I was finally able to get out of bed today I have been surprisingly ok in that sense, with just the anxiety creeping back - but thankfully had a pretty decent afternoon health wise. I am really hoping I can sleep tonight though as this is wearing rather thin and I am getting extremely tired.

You are so very kind f&s, I really do appreciate your words. I am going to try and sort out my eating again once I am back home and have been paid as my diet has been horrendous the last couple of days and I have had nothing but sugar based foods (pop tarts etc) but I havn't been in the right mind set to have anything else or put effort into food.
I hope you can get over your current low at the moment yourself, keep your chin up and hopefully things will peter out for at least a little while now that you're on the new meds.