• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Never been diagnosed with anything but I've been ruminating for three weeks straight. is that normal?

BLUESTAR009

BLUESTAR009

I thought I might have some type of anxiety issues previously however an incident happened about three weeks ago involving a social interaction which I made complicated and failed at. Ever since then three weeks ago I've been dicing n slicing it and going over to my head nonstop every waking moment.

Is that normal or is there any comparisons to other real mental issues like OCD that anyone can identify or at least give an opinion considering on nonstop ruminating for weeks. Is that normal or does it sound like something deeper?

Faith198

Faith198

I think rumination is a symptom of a lot of disorders but that is one of them. I’m not sure if it’s OCD (can’t diagnose here) but you could talk it over with a mental health professional. I have both anxiety and ocd and I tend to do that with my thoughts. I don’t know which one causes it. Really with ocd you do things over and over again like touch a lock or look for even numbers on the time. There’s various kinds of it though so maybe

F

fightthegoodfight

Like Faith said its definitely a symptom but you couldn't go off just that alone, and you need a mental health professional to do an evaluation for you to get a proper diagnosis. They will ask you a series of questions to help narrow down the problem.

OCD is just one type of anxiety disorder so while it could be that, it could also be other things, or maybe not even an anxiety disorder at all depending on what they discover. And you can have OCD and other anxiety, as I also suffer from both OCD and more generalized and social anxiety.

Typically OCD is characterized in particular by two types of behaviors, obsessive, and compulsive behaviors, which result in a lot of bizarre ritual performing and repeating thought processes that ultimately cause a lot of pain and stress for the person, and eventually, it begins to interfere with your ability to function properly. The rumination is the kind of thing though that OCD can do, where you kind of feel like a broken record worrying endlessly about the same thing over and over while never getting any relief thinking about it.

Definitely try to seek out some resources in your area, ideally find someone who is specialized in OCD or anxiety disorders at the very least. They can give you a professional opinion. Good luck. :)