• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

neurostar therapy anyone heard or tried this

S

stuartiee

My sister heard about this therapy just wondered if anyone had heard about this ??

S

stuartiee

Thanks for the link firemonkee57 nice one sounds interesting what do you think ??

F

firemonkee57

Seems to be highly conflicting opinions about it. I would be very cautious.

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Device has Marginal Effect for Depression Treatment

The MacGuffin: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation: Does it Live Up to the Hype?

" TMS was denied FDA-approval in January, 2007. But in October 2008, the FDA had a change of heart, approving the device. I'm not quite sure what changed the mind of the FDA.

The following disclaimer on the device's website is a bit funny:

NeuroStar TMS Therapy has not been studied in patients who have not received prior antidepressant treatment. Its effectiveness has also not been established in patients who have failed to receive benefit from two or more prior antidepressant medications at minimal effective dose and duration in the current episode.

So it's only demonstrated (weak) efficacy in people who have failed one (not zero, not more than one) antidepressant trial. Impressive, eh? To summarize, the sponsor and its affiliated academics wrote a paper in a major psychiatry journal in which positive outcomes were three times as likely to be reported as negative outcomes. The efficacy data were unimpressive according to an FDA panel -- and these panels are not known for being particularly choosy about efficacy data. It seemed that TMS was dead in the water, only to be resurrected in the form of a surprising FDA approval. And if being resurrected from the grave doesn't make for a great Halloween post, then what does?

Offending Study:
O’Reardon, J., Solvason, H., Janicak, P., Sampson, S., Isenberg, K., Nahas, Z., McDonald, W., Avery, D., Fitzgerald, P., & Loo, C. (2007). Efficacy and Safety of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation in the Acute Treatment of Major Depression: A Multisite Randomized Controlled Trial Biological Psychiatry, 62 (11), 1208-1216 DOI: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2007.01.018

Letter to Editor:
Yu, E., & Lurie, P. (2009). Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Not Proven Effective Biological Psychiatry DOI: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2009.03.026 "

Clinical Psychology and Psychiatry: A Closer Look

Study reinforces efficacy of NeuroStar TMS Therapy System in patients with MDD

The NeuroStar TMS device: conducting the FDA approved protocol for ... - PubMed - NCBI

katya

katya

It sounds a bit like electroshock therapy, but a much more gentle version.

I've heard that neuroscientists have done studies that show that, after being given short bursts of electrical impulses (I think in a similar way to this), you become temporarily better at maths. So maybe it has a positive effect on your mood too... ?!

I don't know enough about this to suggest anything either way.