• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

neighbour

D

DELATEXT

I feel really bad, I have a neighbour who is suffering from schizophrenia, he shouts all the time and acts very menacing ??
I am ill myself and I do not wish him any ill will,
but recently he was sectioned as he was not taking his meds ??
to night he was wondering in the back garden, shouting about "arabs" and effing "pakis " and he was brandishing a hammer ??
my neighbour next door is an asian gentleman who is scared of this guy ??
I have been told to call the police ??
but I do not know what to do ???

:unsure::scared::scared::unsure:

D

dreambuggieII

Hey there,

I hope you're okay.
I just thought I'd say, if you're feeling distressed and its affecting you then pick up the phone and call the police.
You need to feel safe, I wouldn;t advise stepping in - as he may feel alarmed.
My ex-partner appeared violent and he'd often mimic shooting people, and he;d shout a lot too. He - in short - despite the appearance of a pit bull he wouldn't have hurt anyone. It's all very individual - each case. I'm sure you know that.
Also, do you have a duty social worker line? I'm not sure if they're 24 hour in your area/sector/borough. You may want to give them a tinkle during the week, if he's calmed down now.

I know about feeling guilty. Hospital is not pleasant, but what other choices do we have, when we've haven't been taught to cope other then taking the meds. We can't choose delatext - the choice has been made for us.

Take care and sleep well

I'm off to bed now. Hope you find a solution soon.

nite nite

D

DELATEXT

have been told I must call police , housing association are powerless !!
have no choice I think ??

M

maudikie

maaudikie.

have been told I must call police , housing association are powerless !!
have no choice I think ??
Call the police but BUT TELL THEM THAT HE IS SUFFERING FROM MENTAL ILLNESS, It is in his interest that you get help and you must not feel bad about it. Take care yourself, and let u s know how you get on;;

D

DELATEXT

I am going to do just that, I do not want him hurt in anyway,
but I really thing he could be a danger to himself and others ??
to explain things a bit better, my housing association has elderly people and
people with mental health problems living in the one area,
over all it is quiet, normally good neighbours,
18 month ago social work moved this man into my close,
ever since he has upset everyone by shouting, swearing for hours !!
he was sectioned 6 months ago,
since his return he has been no better ??
I do not know if he is anti social as he appears quite intimidating ??
he cornered my asian neighbour and asked him "who he was"
where was he going"
he did the same thing to my girl friend !!
I was so angry but she told me not to say anything ??
The housing association say they can do nothing, unless he assaults someone and the police are involved ??
So I have to call the police if anything does happen??
My fear is someone will get hurt ??
Even my keyworker thinks this guy is trouble ??

Last edited:
D

DELATEXT

called Police, neighbour shouting and swearing in close very loud at 10am !!
informed Police he is ill, stated they will deal with with tact ??

D

DELATEXT

police phoned back taking no action !!
stated it is up to housing association ???
neighbour blasted loud music all day !!
Totally feel useless, nothing i can do about this ??
will have to be very careful, cannot risk confronting this man ??
Will continue to call police if need be ??
Feel a prisoner in own home !!!

Angels

Angels

Try and stay calm!!
The police should be able to do something... re call if you feel the need to. but make sure to mention he has a mental health problem.

D

DELATEXT

I am calm but feel futile this mess should never happened ?
anti social neighbours are a bane everywhere !!
I want a reasonable solution i.e. my neighbour behaves or if he is to ill
to sustain a tenancy, he should be considered for supported accommodation with 24 hour support ??
and only if his doctors decide this !!
Social work made a bad decision here, as my neighbours behaviour is adversely affecting other
mentally ill and elderly vulnerable people ??
My neighbour is entitled to his tenancy the same as everyone else, but he must behave in a reasonable manner ??
It is how to this is achievable ???

M

maudikie

Have you contacted the Mental Health Team? If you get no response there call the Cosial Services. It is very diffiuclt for you. what about yout other neighbours? If they also called for help for this chap it might arouse a bit more interest in getting help.

M

mad as a hatter

i this not typical off the police waiting till something or somebody gets hurt before they,ll act get onto ur housing association they can,t let this go on he,s obviously a threat 2 other people behaving like that

D

DELATEXT

Spoke to my key worker about it he agrees I must call police to report any incident ??
gather evidence to force housing association to take action ,
other neighbours have lodged complaints in the past to no avail !!
so it is an ongoing process I could do with out the hassle'
as paul weller sang " Stop dreaming of the quiet life it is one you'll never know,
those rosey days are few?
It's up to us to change this town called Malice "

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
You have my sympathy, the swomen upstairs came off her meds, as her cpn said when i spoke to him "you've been screwing her" my emotions were involved big time

I'm nosw moving out if she comes off meds again and attacks me with that hammer someone could get hurt

It's also other neighbours to get to the top of the housing queue you have to be a problem vulnerable, it selects for certain people

When my housing assoc was taken over by the sally army i asked their policy on antisocial behaviour they said they'd deal with the reasons but if all else fails they'd evict, reality is housing officers want a quiet life, it's easier to cover up things than to take difficult action

Heard Duncan Smith the new benefit minister, in the past he said he'd amend the law to make evictions easier

Certain people should be somewhere they're cared for instead of this use of independent living language to allow people to be dumped

D

DELATEXT

I have friends in Supported Accommodation as they are to fragile and ill to handle their own tenancy ??
as you say people should not be dumped in the community, social work do it as it is a cheaper, easy option,
my neighbour is very unstable, he shouted yesterday he was going to smash all the windows in his house !!
I cannot talk to him and do not wish to in case he reacts badly ??