• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Neighbour From Hell!

F

Fruit Loop

I do not know if this is the right place or not?

I am so wound up and fear I may snap. I am shaking with rage! My whole body feels like pins and needles. I just need to vent some where some how!

It has been nothing but noise all day long. It started at 0800 hrs this morning with slamming doors. I found a sheltered spot in my garden to escape and sit in the Sun. It was then bark, bark, bark, howl, howl, bark. They have three long haired rats that are left out all day and all night. They never get taken out to exercise so they bark at the slightest sound. The dogs scared away any wildlife including a robin that will nearly eat from my hand. Such a simple thing but so pleasurable, a form of escape for me.

I came inside, back to the slamming doors! Then the loud music starts up. Thump, thump, thump of the bass. I got some piece and quiet when it went to the shops at lunchtime. I knew it came back when it slammed the door so hard I thought my windows were going to fall out! Then the two pronged assault yapping and howling dogs, with the shout out of "shut the F**k Up!" Then once again the loud music. I guess to drown out the noise of the yapping rats X3!

I could feel myself getting more and more wound up. She ignores any attempt to make contact. Pretending to be out, yet you can hear it shouting at the dogs? I was tempted to launch a verbal salvo over the fence. I did not as the other people do not need to here me rant. I am feel unable to spend anytime where I feel safe and comfortable.

What the hell do I do? I know what I am tempted to do but do not want to spend the foreseeable future behind bars. I just need some kind of release! It is doing my head in, big time! I feel like I am going to explode!

I have complained several time to them and the local authorities. I get told keep a diary of it all. I am fed up, wound up and so tempted! Why do the authorities decide to do nothing? I guess they have nowhere else to stick the them? They do not have to put up with it, so it is ok? Or they do not want to have such creatures near their homes? But it is ok for the rest of us?

I am bouncing off the walls and ceiling.

I just want some peace!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
It should be a reasonable adjustment under the disability act for mentally ill people to have peace and quiet

I know it's difficult where i live as your housed with other nutters and those refusing treatment tend to be highly antisocoial

iffybob

iffybob

If its private .. your pritty much stuck ...

.. if its council .. some have a noise department ... ring the switch board of the council .. you could also ask the "enviomental health" department .. the council will have there number ..

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Wow i've never heard a barking rat; call The News Of The World!!:p

Are the people in question tenants or do they own the property? Is it social housing or private? If they are renting privatley and the noise is found to be excessive then it is a very simple 8 week process to evict them. If it is social housing it gets far more complicated.

You must keep a diary of all the noise and gather as much evidence as you can. Are your other neighbours having problems with them or is it just you? You can contact the environmental health department and get machienery to also record the noise.

Are they quiet between 11pm and 7am or are they noisy during these hours as well?

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Any update on this situation Fruitloop?

F

Fruit Loop

They own the property. I have sought advice, I am waiting for more information to come in the post. It appears that other people have also complained about the barking/howling dogs. Some have been round to the property and moaned directly, while others have made official complaints. According to the owner, the dogs are well behaved and it is my cats that make them bark!? I guess my cats are either ventriloquists? or they must stand on the fence and pull faces! I have yet to see my cats or any others on the high fence. The other excuse is that others peoples dogs bark. Yes but not for hours on end, day or night! I think there is a bit of tension in the neighbourhood because of their actions or lack of.

I do wonder if the neighbour thinks I am behind the complaints from surrounding properties? Am I also a ventriloquist? I wonder if the loud music is a retaliation? I do think it is being done on purpose. I think this because when someone knocks on their door the volume drops in an instant. If the music was at a sensible level why would you turn it down when answering the door? Then when the visitor goes, up goes the volume once more. I wonder if the same would happen if I was to have someone come round, would neighbour still play the loud music? This is not the first time I have had trouble with noise from the neighbour.

A couple of years ago, I got fed up of the dogs barking each time I stepped into my back garden. I was also aware that they would bark at my cats and would try to jump over the once lower fence. One day one of the dogs did clear the fence. It gave chase to one of my cats, who took off like a rocket up the side of the shed and onto the roof. I rushed into the garden and gave chase to the little beast. I put the fear of God into the little thing. Our garden is a little lower. No matter how hard it tried it could not clear the fence. My OH went round to complain and was assured that all the dogs were in their garden. They were advised to double check and if it happens again and one of our pets gets injured they would be paying any costs incurred. By this time I had hold of the beast and was trying to decide if a drop kick into their pond or drop into the flower bed would be the best option. The beast was claimed by the neighbour. I then told the neighbour to keep them under control or lose them and that if the fence was higher it would be a start. The next day a mix of trellis and chicken wire was added to the fence. The trellis was like a ladder for the beast. It got a bucket of cold water that day. I got fed up with the 'Steptoes yard' looking fence and took matters in my own hands. A military operation was planned. The following Saturday (early) morning saw me putting up a 6 foot solid fence. It could not have worked out better. Just as the neighbour came out to see what was going on (6:45 am), the look on its face was a picture as the last panel got put in position and securely fixed.

The back garden is more enjoyable. I just wish the dogs would stop barking at the slightest sound and howling to be let in the house. I do wonder if the owner took more time and made the effort to exercise the dogs they would not bark at the slightest noise? or am I barking up the wrong tree?

greebobeebo

greebobeebo

I would get the rspca involved. You can do it anonymously and keep on at them.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Dogs are territorial they'll defend their pack territory against anyone who isn't pack, people get dogs then claim their behaviour has nothing to do with them when their behaviour is the reason they got the dog, i'm not a great dog lover

iffybob

iffybob

I am .. I grew up with them ... they do have a more decent and honest social structure and behavyour than we practice ..

... if a dog behaves badly .. it is almost always a bad owner , esp one who does not undestand dogs ...

... unfortunatly there is no law against idiots owning dogs .. there should be .. for the dogs sake if no other ...

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I had a bit of an argument with a neighbour who got a massive dog, he told me it used to guard a shop, he installed it in the shared back garden which the dog decided was it's territory and would drive me out, one of the nice things about my housing is i can sit in the back garden

I managed to get on with it in the end, it tolerated me but that was all, it caused friction

I've never been one for dogs, i remember talking to my mother, my granddad had an old dog, i was a toddler and used to tease it, it bit me and had to be put down, my mother as soon as i mention my childhood is immediately on the defensive

iffybob

iffybob

The adults let you tease a dog to the point where it bit you ... I blame the adults ... for there neglect for you and the dog ...

.. dogs are very simple animals .... family , food and freinds ... teratory is below that ... if your neighbour had properly introduced you to his dog, even if it was a gard dog , you would not have had a problem...

I know it is easy for me to say cos I grew up around them and to a certain degree speek "dog" , and as such the just want to be nice to me ...

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Prefer dogs to humans anyday:D

Fruit Loop you must try not to retaliate. It sounds as though the situation is being sorted (others are reporting these neighbours). Some of the behavior you have described yourself sounds rather antagonistic; this will give you less standing if you do report your neighbours behaviour.

As I said keep a diary, do not antagonise, and do not retaliate otherwise you will be seen as bad as they are.

F

Fruit Loop

The weekend just gone, it all kicked off once more. This time it was more direct and personal.

I am puzzled as to why? I knew it was coming but just did not know how or when.

Noise and verbal over the fence.
Retaliate ........... No!
moment of rest and peace. They got bored?
increase in numbers (more of its offspring).
Cannot leave, have been blocked in by their car and van.
Feeling trapped
No escape
Feel unsafe
Threatened
Back to being a victim
Old memories return
Desperation
Fear
Panic
Pressure mounting
Cracks appear
Safety plan fail
Cracks spread and widen
Pressure building
Point of no return
Emotions running high
Confined
Caged
Tormented
Terror
No release in sight
To late to abandon ship
On and on
Uncontainable pressure
Thumping heart
Explosion
Uncontrolled release
Slow motion actions
Not in control
Not able to stop
Tunnel vision
Poor coordination
Screaming inside
Pounding heart
Jeers and cheers
Blind panic
Racing pulse
Heavy laboured breathing
Head spinning
Pounding racing heart
Gasping for breath
Dizzy
Cannot calm myself
Round and round it goes
Pains in chest
Feeling of impending doom
Grey vision
Cannot get breath in lungs, yet they feel like going to burst
Pounding heart
Pain in chest
Vision going
Downward motion
????????
Fear, alive or dead?

The morning after, headache, cuts and bruises, chest pains when moving or taking more than a shallow breath
Do not feel safe
Confused
Questions
No answers
Gaps in memory
Scared of what happened
Mind running slow
Random jumbled thoughts
Agitated/on edge
Short temper/very defensive.

Waiting and expecting further abuse?

Abbi

Abbi

Hi oh goodness i know exactly how bad it is ....my neigbour moved in 5 years ago and started diy right away bang bang drill ...extensions ...concrete mixers mechanical diggers knocking down external walls argh argh and now a 12 ft trampoline and a huge blow up pools for the screaming duo they call children oh and the f...ing and blinding at the barbecues they have had every evening for the past 3 weeks .....i can't stand much more ,we phone the council but they said there is little that can be done unless it goes on after 11 at night .
Sorry i am no help but i completley sympathise .
Take care and i wish you some peace

keepsafe

keepsafe

I am so sorry that you are suffering so badly