• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Negative thoughts

• Thread starter notwellinthehead
  • Start date
N

notwellinthehead

Hi all,

I am notwellinthehead (NWITH). I'm hoping to learn ways to cope with the incessant negative thoughts that troll my mind.

It's horrible and debilitating. I will remember instances from my past and replay them in my head. These are simple and mundane things that others would shrug off and not ever think about. Here's an example, last night I recalled how once I went away from home for a while. My mum had packed me some chocolate and I kept the chocolate thinking I'd eat it at a special time. When I opened the chocolate I found it had gone bad. Yes, agreed that this is not great but these type of things keep eating away at me.

NWITH

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello and welcome. I also replay seemingly minor things and struggle with how they make me feel. I am sorry you go through this too.

N

notwellinthehead

Hello and welcome. I also replay seemingly minor things and struggle with how they make me feel. I am sorry you go through this too.
Do you have any ways of coping with this? I've tried many things. One technique was my "cut/negative" method. Any time I started thinking about this trivial matters I used to eliminate it by saying "cut" and then "negative" as in I am cutting out a negative thought. Another method I tried was to relive the moment in its entirety and then rationalize how trivial a matter it really is.

Both methods have not worked. I found the cut negative method just resulted in another trivial negative thought. Trying to fully relive the moment so as to remind myself that this was such a petty thing has the opposite effect. I know it's petty but nonetheless the feelings I get from reliving the moment are horrible. Take for example the chocolates again. When I recall the chocolates I remember how they'd crumbled and become stale. I felt I'd let my Mum down.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am sorry you have not found a method that works. I have not either. I just try to distract myself from the thought by watching a programme or reading. It is hard being a sensitive person.