• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

negative symptoms - what helped?

E

emmaleemochizuki

Meds helped a lot with positive symptoms but I am still struggling a lot of lack of motivation, lack of energy, lack of emotions, and social withdrawal etc and they are actually harder to deal with in a way than voices and seeing things for me personally.

My CPN keep saying that as I stabilise on meds it will get better but those things never really got better and probably why I relapse sometimes.

What helped you with negative symptoms?

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
Clozapine really helped me with the negative symptoms. I believe it's one of the only antipsychotics that help with this.

Before clozapine, I was on risperidone and I really neglected my appearance and hygiene. Also, didn't practice self care and or have motivation for many things.

I don't know why clozapine helps, but it really does some how.😅

A

amihan088

I feel the same thing.. I was in a very bad condition before I started taking meds for schizophrenia.. Hallucinations etc. etc.. and when I started taking meds positive syptoms has been less and I feel better now.. but like you, I also feel unmotivated, lack of emotions etc. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or if I should do something or just let it be.. Can meds help?

Passionflower

Passionflower

The meds cause the negative symptoms in my case, but they also get rid of the positive symptoms. Bit of a catch 22 really.

Nate

Nate

I heard that amitriptyline can help with negative symptoms. I've never tried it but it might be worth a try.