• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Negative criticism PTSD

L

La_Tubereuse

As a child I had been criticized very harshly from both my parents, but especially my mother. Nowadays, every bit of criticism from people around me has the potential to throw me into another PTSD crisis, which entails endless days of obsessing over the words, feeling panicky, deserted and in existential agony, cannot sleep well, feeling unable to escape from negative thoughts, etc.
Has anyone experienced such PTSD symptoms? I need your help and advice! Please.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I do not have PTSD but I am highly sensitive to criticism. It causes me to have deep hatred of myself and low self worth. I then am likely to take this out on myself. What I found helpful was not having people in my life whose opinion does not really matter. If people are giving you helpful advice then that is one thing but to have people put you down is not helpful.

C

Coolname

As a child I had been criticized very harshly from both my parents, but especially my mother. Nowadays, every bit of criticism from people around me has the potential to throw me into another PTSD crisis, which entails endless days of obsessing over the words, feeling panicky, deserted and in existential agony, cannot sleep well, feeling unable to escape from negative thoughts, etc.
Has anyone experienced such PTSD symptoms? I need your help and advice! Please.
Hi

The idea of emotional flashbacks makes sense and sounds like what you are describing. The thinking is that current criticism activates the terrible feelings that you experienced as a child.

Over time, emotional flashbacks can be managed to reduce their impact. There is some discussion of emotional flashbacks in this section, Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (CPTSD) Forum
That section also has a thread discussing a book on cptsd (From Surviving To Thriving) that you may find helpful. The author's website, pete-walker.com, has a section on emotional flashbacks. Googling the term will give you other resources.

I hope you let us know how you are getting on.