Needle phobia - some advice please

J

johnram

Hi all,

I have needle phobia, it has stopped me from seeking out some needed blood tests for near 1.5 years.

I have slowly been overcoming some aspects, in that i have gotten more comfortable getting innoculated for travel and once tried accupuncture, but having blood taken seems just much harder and a challenge

I have other issues i am working through in therapy (lots of childhood trauma etc and associated issues - depression, addiction etc), so this hasnt been top priority, but i am keen to take some thoughts?

thank you

Luci

Luci

Does the clinic you are going to know that you have a needle phobia? When I go they use the child sized needles to take my blood. They can also use numbing cream so you cant feel it if its pre agreed

J

johnram

thank you. Its reminded me, when the needle goes in, i have no issue, its not about the pain in that sense - not sure if that makes sense though.

i always walk away thinking its not a big deal even thought i have drama about it

Luci

Luci

I know what you mean. I avoid having bloods taken well. However I had a baby 6 months ago.... I had that many different bloods, injections and cannulas that the veins in my hands collapsed. They had to get an anesthetist to come collect my next sample from my wrist. Then I had to have a blood transfusion. I hate the feeling of something being taken or pumped in. It makes me feel faint. But I cope fine when it had to be done. Although I wouldn't let anyone touch my hands or arms for 2 months after...

N

Neverhappy

I hate blood being taken, hate hate it. I take earphones now and listen to music with my eyes closed. I think its looking and hearing, especially those nurses who keep informing you of their progress doing it! Aghh shut up. As for rolling the tubes around after yuk, it annoys me as I tell them I hate it. I feel for you. Have you tried CBT?

J

johnram

I think my therapist wants to try EMDR on it
think it will help

i have had accupuncture recently with not my fuss, just drawing blood is the last hurdle

J

johnram

whats your plan?

N

Neverhappy

Luckily I can go. I loathe it but Im not as phobic as you! I can get there, but I will get into such a sweat and have passed out nearly before. Im so sad that I will leave the little plaster on for over a week to avoid cringing at it. I really really hope you can defeat this!

J

johnram

i need to try and get blood drawn soon, making too much drama of it

K

khuang

If you turn away from the arm that is getting the needle and either focus on something on the wall you’re facing or closing your eyes, the insertion won’t hurt and you forget in a way about the needle other than a slight pinch. I don’t have a fear of needles but I use this technique all the time. Closing your eyes will relax you.

J

johnram

thank you, makes sense