• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Need to loose weight, the only way I know how to!

M

mat70x

Hi
I need to loose a lot of weight, the other day all my friends said to me that they are all going to the beach and would I like to go? I said no because I look like a blimp and it's been about 6 years the last time I took off my top in public and have been swimming.

I am currently 205lbs or 14.6st and I am 5'10'' my goal is 11 stone or less, which is what I used to be.
I went to the doctors to see if he can give me surgury or slimming pills but he said im not fat enough! So I said to him that Im going to stop eating alltogether and if i do eat i will only eat a maxiumum of 500 cals a day, and if I end up with anorexia its his fault... BECAUSE I ASKED FOR HELP!!!

Last edited:
S

Sall1

Founding Member
Hi Mat,

ED's are like being inbetween a rock and a hard place. Being 5ft 10 and weighing around 14stones sounds about right to me but I do understand what you say about wanting to lose weight regardless of this.

The fact is that YOU sound unhappy with your weight and have asked for help in a round about way from a medical professional. Telling the doctor that you're going to restrict your calorie intake to about 500 per day, should be an indicator to him/her about how unhappy you are. I know i've certainly heard that loud and clear.

Having said this, if your doctor thinks that you don't need to lose weight, then perhaps this is a topic that you perhaps should explore a little further with him/her before doing anything too drastic. Restricting your diet to such an extreme is very dangerous to your physical health as you'll start to weaken your heart etc. Trust me I know from experience. My physical health is suffering now due to restricting my diet. I collapsed last week and felt very poorly when I saw the doctors - Nightmare or what!

I'm not going to preach to you because I can't really. That would only be a case of 'do as I say and not what I do' making me a hypocrit (can't spell - sorry). What I saying though is that I do understand the feeling of desperation to lose weight and the decision to lose weight by any means necessary and at any cost however, all that you'll end up doing is damaging your body physically and this also often has a serious offect upon mental health. It's too late for me but not for you perhaps. My body is stuffed and is in such a bad cycle now that I feel i'll never get out of it. If you can, please don't go down the same road as me.

Best wishes with it all and ................... i'm sure you're mates will love you just as you are, with or without weight loss.

Sall
x

K

kt456

Ah I know how you feel, it is so frustrating when people ask you to go to the beach and can't understand why you don't want to go. The thought of going to the beach always fills me with horror!

I can understand how you feel, I've always had problems with my eating. I don't know about you but when I first started to have problems I felt this most intense feeling of frustration that I couldn't and I got in to a nasty cycle of bulimia, and then self harming because I couldn't stop making myself sick.

As others have said I'd go back to the doctor, and make sure he/she understands that you are really unhappy and need some help.

Good luck, keep posting :)

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
What medication are you on? Do you think you have gained weight because of medication?
I have.I'm now 16 stone was 11 1/2 2 years ago.

M

mat70x

Update

See its now been 3 days and iv only eaten, after the 3rd day Im finding it easier as Im getting used to the feeling of being empty. I have lost 4lbs now. Im not on any medication, i just got depressed when I split with my girlfriend and looked to food for comfert. I know what Im doing is dangerous but its my body and im past caring, i have asked for help time after time and if no-ones going to help this is the only thing that works for me!:clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kt456

Mat,

Have you told the doctors that you are depressed or just want to lose weight? If they know you are depressed then they can help you deal with that as well as eating.

Please don't go down this road, it can become very addictive and hard to stop. Keep posting

M

mat70x

I have been on anti depressants before and they don't work on me.
Im fed up with keep going to the doctors, Im going to deal with this my way now.

K

kt456

I know the last thing you want to do is keep going back to the doctors, but it may be that you need a different anti-depressant. Sometimes it's a case of finding the right one for you.

M

mat70x

I appreciate your concern, but like I said I really am past caring, I will sacrafise damaging my internal body to look good.
Like the saying goes 'Get thin or die trying'

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Mat

I am so sorry that you feel you have to take such drastic action to lose some weight that you say feel you need to lose.

If your doctor said that he would not give you the pills or surgery because you are not fat enough perhaps you should take that as an indicator that perhaps you are not as big as you perceive yourself to be.

Taking pills and surgery is seen as the last option for weight loss, and just because he wouldn't give you the solution you asked for, doesn't mean that they won't offer you other solutions. Why don't you ask to have some appointments with a dietician instead? Or join a weight loss group, where you will meet people in the same situation as you?

Unfortunately there is no quick fix to losing weight, a healthy diet and exercise are the best ways to create a sustained weight loss. Alot of people would prefer the other alternatives because it is perceived as a short cut, however pills will only work alongside a healthy diet and exercise and surgery is not a short cut because of the months of recuperation you have to take.

Unfortunately the 500 kcal diet that you are undertaking at the moment, will ultimately be unlikely to create a sustained weight loss. What you are doing in fact is putting your body into what is known as 'Starvation Mode'. This means that your body will start to store any calorie you take in, because it is worried about when the next meal will come. Any exercise you undertake will have less of an effect because of your body doing this. You will find you lack energy, perhaps get irritable and your sleep patterns will become distrurbed.

I propose that the weight loss you have experienced in the last two days is not real weight loss. Food absorbs over 25% of your bodies water, so because you have little food in your body you have probably lost 4lbs of water instead. As soon as you start eating properly again your body will reabsorb that water and the weight is likely to go back on. This is a well known fact.

Eating 500 calories a day can make you prone to binge eating and this is when people get caught into a cycle of yo yo dieting, and most people who yo yo diets will tell you that they have not actually lost any real weight at all.

You say you don't mind damaging your insides, however you will ultimately damage your outside too. You can develop dark rings under your eyes, your nails can become brittle, your skin dry, your hair lank and dry and possibly even fall out and any cuts/wounds may take a long time to heal. You may well achieve the body weight you want to, but you are likely to be sacrificing some of your other outer attributes. You may also sacrifice your friends because your behaviour is likely to be drastically altered by undertaking a diet like this. You may also sacrifice your mental health, because a mind that is in starvation mode is less likely to think rationally, cohesively and less able to regulate your internal emotional moniter.

Please speak to your GP, a diet planned and followed with a dietician or a group is more likely to achieve the sustained results you want, without having to sacrifice everything else.

Last edited: