• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Need to find a place to go where others think like me.

M

Msoverthinker50

Hi
I have come here this evening because I tried to explain my condition to my bosses but they thought it was funny and told me that everyone overthinks.

I have to check letters by reopening before posting and still convince myself I've posted something to the wrong person even though I've checked numerous times. It is worse at the weekend because I believe I have done something wrong and the thoughts stick in my head and I have to carry out rituals to undo the mistakes of which I haven't even made. I can't quite describe the physical pain - it is like something is physically gripping me inside. Not just work - I have thoughts of guilt that I didn't bring my children up properly even though my now grown up children tell me I did a good job. The past pops into my head quite a lot and there is always a guilt thought stuck in my head.

Basically, I can't escape from my own mind and I am finding it all very depressing.

P

Purpleplum

It sounds like maybe you have depression and OCD. What about seeing a counselor or doctor?

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Hello Msoverthinker50, welcome to the forums.

lavenderfire

lavenderfire

Hi
I have come here this evening because I tried to explain my condition to my bosses but they thought it was funny and told me that everyone overthinks.

I have to check letters by reopening before posting and still convince myself I've posted something to the wrong person even though I've checked numerous times. It is worse at the weekend because I believe I have done something wrong and the thoughts stick in my head and I have to carry out rituals to undo the mistakes of which I haven't even made. I can't quite describe the physical pain - it is like something is physically gripping me inside. Not just work - I have thoughts of guilt that I didn't bring my children up properly even though my now grown up children tell me I did a good job. The past pops into my head quite a lot and there is always a guilt thought stuck in my head.

Basically, I can't escape from my own mind and I am finding it all very depressing.
Don't listen to accusatory thoughts. Instead, do the opposite, encourage and look for the good. That is what you'd want your kids to do if they developed this issue. Be an example to them of what you'd want them to do: be kind to themselves.

M

Msoverthinker50

It sounds like maybe you have depression and OCD. What about seeing a counselor or doctor?
Thank you for taking the time to advise. I can't get a GP face to face appt as the surgery only give telephone consultations in the afternoon when I am at work unfortunately.

Thank you though.

Karmaman

Karmaman

@Msoverthinker50 Have you tried meditation or listening to guided meditations to help you slow down your thinking? I have to do this every evening or I'd struggle sleeping with all my thoughts and worries.

M

Msoverthinker50

Hello Msoverthinker50, welcome to the forums.
Thank you.
@Msoverthinker50 Have you tried meditation or listening to guided meditations to help you slow down your thinking? I have to do this every evening or I'd struggle sleeping with all my thoughts and worries.
Thank you for taking the time to advise. That sounds like a great idea - I will try that

Karmaman

Karmaman

@Msoverthinker50 Hope it helps. Lauren Ostrowski Fenton has some good guided meditations. This is definitely a place where you will meet people who have similar things happening to them.