• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Need some serious advice

P

piggybugs

This is gonna be kinda silly but I need some real talk. I got a job two months ago at a retail store because I'm trying to save up money so I can see my partner this year. My mental health up till that point was actually very good, I was eating well and I was def doing well. I was excited to start working but now that I've been here for awhile, I'm getting more and more depressed. I've been eating less, I've grown more apathetic, I dread every morning and I feel more suicidal. My manager is extremely passive aggressive and I've been berated nonstop by customers. I feel incompetent.
Should I quit my job? I've only decided to get it so I can have my own money to spend on goods and so I can see my partner this year, and they are getting a campus job. I'm not in a financially tight spot after all. This was just something I did to pass the time since I have college things going on as well.
Tdlr: should I quit my job I started a month or two ago? Positives: Money, it helps pass the time. Negatives: My boss is very mean, customers verbally abuse me, my mental health has worsened since I started

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I would quit your current job but only after you've found another job. If not, you could be between jobs for a long time. As far as interviewing is concerned while you have your current job, you maybe could do discreetly a zoom meeting with a prospective employer or meet a prospective employer outside of your current job's work hours.

J

JeanPierre

If you are truly not in a tight spot financially and suffering this much; obviously yes.
(No job I ever had was perfect though. I managed to accommodate certain jobs so I could live
where and how I wanted.)

jajingna

jajingna

You've got boss and customers putting you down every day and your mental health getting worse. You get some money and something to do with the job. Sounds to me like the negatives outweigh the positives there, but of course that is for you to decide. Do you dread going into work, knowing you'll get more insults, basically what sounds like abuse to me? I don't think anybody would want to put up with that for long if they had a choice to get away from it.

BadWolf10

BadWolf10

I agree, it's your choice in the end. But is it worth it, especially if it sounds like its having more of a negative impact than a positive one?

I like the suggestion about finding a new job, then quit to move on. Maybe look into that?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
ineedabettername I’m in need of some serious life advice. 💢 What can I do? Depression Forum 5
W Need to support son with depression Depression Forum 5
I Need to moan Depression Forum 5
S Need some advice about a man with depression (I am depressed too) Depression Forum 12
Y Reaching out to someone in need Depression Forum 3
Catty5 Alone....need someone to talk. Depression Forum 16
KaoticKiss I need help with life!!! Depression Forum 55
J Barely have any friends, need advice from others. Depression Forum 2
A I need help!! Depression Forum 27
W I need your opinion / advices, i'm lost with this "friendship".. Depression Forum 25
F Need opinions, ideas, anything to help. Depression Forum 7
Bezerker I need help and don't know where to post Depression Forum 10
B Blue and in need of a guide Depression Forum 3
W I need to unload and don't know how to talk about stuff so this is my shout in to the void Depression Forum 3
kimidare Need to vent or explode, or implode ? Depression Forum 13
Marrex A need to vent Depression Forum 6
R I need someone to talk to if possible. Depression Forum 18
Ladyfair I Think I Need To Change Meds Depression Forum 7
B Struggling and need to talk Depression Forum 2
A Need Someone to Talk To.... Depression Forum 6
D Deteriorating mental health : I need to get a lot off my chest Depression Forum 25
G Just need a bit of help? Depression Forum 24
J My story is unoriginal but I need to vent pls Depression Forum 6
M Girlfriend has depression and has pushed away. Need advice/support Depression Forum 2
G I need help ‘May be triggering’ Depression Forum 5
J Need some help I'm feeling very depressed the moment and just do not feel good Depression Forum 4
E I just need someone to speak to... I’m really struggling and can’t talk to anyone else Depression Forum 15
W I need help! Depression Forum 5
R i need to get help for the sake of my family... Depression Forum 4
S I need help but I can't get help Depression Forum 20
J Need life help, my story. (sorry) Depression Forum 7
Ladyfair NEED HELP SOMEONE PLEASE Depression Forum 8
S SSRIs are screwing me up. Need ur experience with wellbutrinh Depression Forum 1
W need help please Depression Forum 6
S In need of some reassurance Depression Forum 1
J I need this off my chest Depression Forum 2
M I need to finally admit i havent fixed it Depression Forum 3
B I need help for my sister Depression Forum 7
M New here, need to talk to someone Depression Forum 9
E I need a new perspective Depression Forum 2
A The need for others Depression Forum 6
L I need to concentrate on studying, but I can't. Depression Forum 9
J Need help with sleep..... What works for you Depression Forum 29
E Need advice Depression Forum 7
Mathew I need some help Depression Forum 7
S Need some advice Depression Forum 4
M Need some advice for helping my partner Depression Forum 1
MeAndMyDepression Did you have a serious/rare side effect from a psych medicine? Depression Forum 3
J Alternatives to fluoxetine (without serious side effects) Depression Forum 2
R Serious considerations about suicide Depression Forum 21