• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

need some legal type advice - and emotional support

Eleison

Eleison

NB In all of this I am the sub tenant/lodger, and am not the named person responsible for the bill. That falls to my flatmate who was the main tenant at our previous address, and is now the owner-occupier. But because they are threatening to send around debt collectors, and they may arrive when I'm home on my own, this potentially effects me.

Whilst my flatmates were away in February this year a heavy demand letter from npower arrived for £70 or so for an outstanding bill from our previous address - I lived with the same people at the previous address. I phoned npower, and arranged to send the cheque which I did that day. Because I understood that if a bill arrives when I'm here alone, I need to pay it, and this wasn't a bill that could wait.

When my flatmates returned home, she saw that it was actually a bill for after we had left the property, and therefore wasn't liable. She phoned npower and had to get a letter/copy of tenancy agreement sent from the previous letting agents to prove we weren't at the address for the period the bill covered. npower then proceeded to send a refund for the cheque paid.

However in the past week or so there's been another letter threatening debt collection.
So my flatmate phoned them, explained the situation. From what I can gather they were a bit snarky, but said they'd look into their records and sort it.
But I believe there's been another demand letter since then.

Yesterday she told me about the debt collection threats.

I feel threatened myself in this, even though I'm not responsible. And I don't handle officials well due to this anxiety and PTSD, and I'm terrified. My flatmates are away for a week soon, and what if the debt collectors try to break in?

What are my rights in this?
My flatmate isn't pursuing any legal advice, and this feels really wrong to me.
If it were me, I'd just pay it off [as I indeed did earlier this year, but it was then refunded...] and be done with it. It's not like it's a huge amount of money. It'd put me out for a while, but if it got them off our back, then great.
But that's not the way my flatmate sees it.

I don't know what to do, I'm really scared.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Npower imo are money grabbin intimidating thugs. Who only care about profit and not customers and the effects their actions have on others .

I have had dealings with them in the past and this is my firm opinion.

RIng ofgen... regulators for the energy companies

or

Contact
CAB

Take care

Intel

Eleison

Eleison

Thanks..

The thing is... it's not my responsibility... and I can't make my flatmate phone or see anyone.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Tough one...

The reality is for £70 they are very unlikely to send debt collectors.
More likely to go through the court systems

Take care and try not to worry

Cal

Cal

Founding Member
I'd say first things first relax the chances of anything like debt collectors is very unlikely, if you do want the situation exlained and what to do (even though it isn't your responsibility it affects you so it might be a good idea) talk to CAB. And i'd say (and this is just what i personally would do) if someone comes to the door asking for money tell them that the person responsible for that isn't there and shut the door in their face, if they try and break in call the police. I'd still say the most important thing is not to let it worry you too much the vastly most likely course is it'll be all paperwork and phonecalls, i think any threat of debt collector's is just that, a threat and only that, i think they're just trying to scare your flatmate into paying them no questions asked.