• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

need some help

M

msc.pt

Hello all, first time poster here.
This is my situation...
I think i'm depressed. I can't seem to find joy in things very much and its VERY hard for me to get excited about future events that are going on in my life. I feel numb alot of the time... i just cant connect with the people around me. I lost an AMAZING girlfriend because i was too numb to put any effort into it. The thing is, and i'll be honest, I don't have much to complain about. I have a select few group of good friends, ppl who care about me, going to a great school for a good program. I do have an f'ed up family life (havnt talked to my mom in 6 yrs and have an older bro who is in and out of jail) but everyone has a crazy family life these days, right?

I just want to be happy and enjoy the things are happening to me.... how can i get happy and maintain it and even more important, what can i do to get excited about my life... i want to be happy and not sad and angry...

Thanks for reading

J

jamesdean

hi n good morning msc. pt i guess the 1st thing u have got 2 work out the degree of depression, b4 u can go 4ward, then how best 2 treatment be that ad's, cbt, i guess then u can start the journey. i lsuffered with depression 4, 38 years only in this last year, have any thing positive happened in my life that i can explain n the people around me r finding it difficult adjusting 2 this transformation i'm by no means cured of my mental illness, but i'm more of a survivor now than a sufferer, though i hold dear 2 my heart my mum n dad my cousin n my oh who have been mty rock my oh 4 being my soulmate they r my m8's n i'm meeting loads of nice people these days, but i guess now that i 'm coming 2 these realisations i havent had it easy with the health service both physical n mh. i had a really difficut child hood n had a teriable time @ school, i was bullied bty oldest brother, but i have got a feeling there might b some light @ the end of the tunnel.
I CANNOT TELL U HOW MUCH THIS FORUM HAS HELPED ME ITS BEEN FANTASTIC, THE MOST INSPIRATIONAL THING I HAVE EVER DONE IN 46 YEARS. i hope this helps n keep posting n i hope u have a nice day take care jdl/COLOR]

D

Dollit

Yes lots of people have crazy lives but that doesn't mean to say that the stress doesn't hit them at some point. A parent you haven't been in touch with and a brother who's in and out of prison would dent the sanity of most people.

Give yourself and even break by allowing yourself the right to feel unhappy about it. Personally I don't aim for happiness, haven't done for a long time. I think happiness is like the thing you see out of the corner of your eye that you never see full on, or the word that's on the tip of your tongue that you can't quite find. I aim for contentment instead and find that much easier to attain.

Keep posting and welcome - hope you find some solace and support here.

raspberry

raspberry

hello msc.pt,

i feel that too sometimes, for example if i think about my life logically there is nothing really wrong, and yet i feel like this its all very strange. if that makes sense.

ive been for a long time when i havent enjoyed anything then all of a sudden i actually found pleasure in doing something. it was only very small, and a one off but that pleasure is a glimmer of hope to hold onto that actually in time i may find other things that i find enjoyment in.

i think its all about acceptance of your state of mind. thats the biggest step, at least for me it has been. and then patience that one day i may feel, as dollit says, that contentment is easier to aim for than happiness. i think its all about stages of recovery, and a hope that these stages will be achieved.

S

susan la

new member Hello.

Hello all, first time poster here.
This is my situation...
I think i'm depressed. I can't seem to find joy in things very much and its VERY hard for me to get excited about future events that are going on in my life. I feel numb alot of the time... i just cant connect with the people around me. I lost an AMAZING girlfriend because i was too numb to put any effort into it. The thing is, and i'll be honest, I don't have much to complain about. I have a select few group of good friends, ppl who care about me, going to a great school for a good program. I do have an f'ed up family life (havnt talked to my mom in 6 yrs and have an older bro who is in and out of jail) but everyone has a crazy family life these days, right?

I just want to be happy and enjoy the things are happening to me.... how can i get happy and maintain it and even more important, what can i do to get excited about my life... i want to be happy and not sad and angry...

Thanks for reading
:grouphug::grouphug:First port of call is your Doctor and have a chat to see if they are any reason why you are feeling this way.:welcome:
Two is express yourself and listen to the advice other members on the web-site and listen to fact rather text-books.
I hope this helps Best wishes Susanx
3. Sort it out with the girlfriend maybe she still loves you. :hi::hi::hi::woohoo:

W

White Dragon

I hope you get any help you need. Important thing is not to keep it bottled up. Talk to someone you trust. Talking to your doctor is a good idea.