• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Need some experienced advice please.

P

Panda92

hey Everyone, I’m new to this forum, so I’ll introduce my self. My names dean. And in the past with my own mental health, I’ve found talking to people, sharing experiences, can be a great source of help/advice.

Unfortunately, I’ve came up against something I’m not familiar with myself. I have a very close person in my life, who’s suffered with eating disorders almost her whole life. And I’m happy to say Over the past year she’s made great progress. But I’m afraid that she’s starting not to see again how much danger she’s in. Without giving away anything too personal, both myself, family and medical professionals have tried to show her this, she still doesn’t feel like she’s able to stop yet. My worry is that “yet” never comes. I know with my mental health, when I was at my worth not of that helped me either, it took ME to want the change, it took ME to want to fight back. I’m just don’t know enough about eating disorders, in order to help properly, and so was wondering if there was any advice at all anyone could give? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH3

:welcome: Like you said it's up to the person to change. No one else can change a person. All I can say is just support her as she's struggling through this. Sorry. :hug::sorry:

M

Mary26

My opinion? She needs a residential treatment program because it's immersive. It would get her out of her environment. She would be eating enough to be able to think clearly. There's lots of peer support. It's goal driven and quite effective.

P

Purpleplum

Are they (I'm referring to professionals in that field) just trying to stop her behavior or are they trying to get to the root cause? If they don't get to the root cause, the behavior won't stop.