• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Need some encouragement / support

B

Berg

Hi all

My anxiety and panic attacks are all now centred around this fear of leaving my house. I can go out for a short walk but I have to be accompanied by a family member. I worry I’ll have an attack outside alone and won’t be able to escape. The problem is I feel trapped in the house, feel like the walls are closing in... but I also feel safe and as though I can’t leave?

Just 4 months ago I flew to the other side of the world (alone) and back! I’m so devastated this is happening and feel ashamed. It is so crippling.

i want to overcome this today - just go for a short walk by myself, but it’s making the anxiety worse? I’d love to be able to cry, let my feelings out but I can’t - I’m completely numb with anxiety.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya. What happened 4 months ago that this has started? Usually there is a trigger which sets a person off with anxiety and panic attacks. Have you looked into it, it can sometimes be something which appears quite small but when you track it backwards links into something much bigger in your life.

You say you can't let your emotions out. Have you always been this way? That could well be part of the problem. Have you been to see a doctor? Or in these days of lockdown, rung one up for meds? It might be worth seeing if there is any other help out there.

Then there is always Mindfulness. Look it up on the net but here is a very brief intro to it:

K

karl7

you should try seeking out a psychiatrist when the corona virus ends.....also this site is good for support

DucksOnWater

DucksOnWater

I used go out the door, walk back in over and over again like i kept forgetting and the remembering that the oven was still on. Even now im still abit hesitate when the i open the door, but the first few steps are the worst after im finally out im pretty happy walking along having a full blown conversation with myselfs. :clap:

J

Jules5

I used go out the door, walk back in over and over again like i kept forgetting and the remembering that the oven was still on. Even now im still abit hesitate when the i open the door, but the first few steps are the worst after im finally out im pretty happy walking along having a full blown conversation with myselfs. :clap:
Hi DuckOnWater Gosh you rang a bell with me on just taking the first few steps. I hide away all the time Do not want to leave house but then My roommate forces me out and after a hour or more I become satisfied with being out. Quack Quack I have 4 baby ducklings now-they are gorgeous and once again I have to take the first steps out the door to fed and fill up their pool. So Got what you are staying Thank you Big Hugs Jules

B

Berg

I am diagnosed with bipolar and can relate a bit to what you are saying. I suffer from depression far more than mania but if I get a manic episode I will crash and burn into depression rapidly - so fast that I can't control it at all.

As for the acute anxiety, I think you need help with that more urgently than they are giving you. Are you only on Lithium or on anything else? I know we are in lockdown at the moment so getting contact with any professional is going to be difficult, but maybe ask for more help than you are getting. Some of it will be medication which whilst not being a cure at least makes it manageable so you can look at other things you might need to help you. Eventually, therapy of some sort is vital to you. You can ask for some from the CMHT.
A little bit of an anti psychotic might work. What I mean is that they are major tranquilisers and part of that is to make you more tranquil! I was on Seroquel and also ballooned in weight which I have never fully got rid of. But in lower doses it did help with the anxiety a lot. It might be an idea to try out something else to help you. I think you need it as you shouldn't be suffering like this.
you should try seeking out a psychiatrist when the corona virus ends.....also this site is good for support
Hi Karl, I am under a psychiatrist at the moment and expecting a call from her tomorrow. I have a Bipolar Disorder diagnosis but have recently been experiencing horrible panic attacks and anxiety.

B

Berg

Psychiatrist prescribed me some diazepam which will be here tomorrow. Was doing some exercise tonight to try and release some anxiety and felt a pain in my left arm - tingling in my lips and of course immediately thought “here’s a heart attack”

of course it was just our good friend Panic making another unwanted appearance in my life. Absolutely shivering now and once again feeling utterly drained within an inch of my life.

and you know what I’m really upset because I spoke to my psychiatrist who was lovely over the phone and found the confidence to leave the house for a short walk around the block - took my headphones and enjoyed some music.

today was an ok day, but then the panic came. I just feel like I can’t control it :(

B

Berg

Psychiatrist prescribed me some diazepam which will be here tomorrow. Was doing some exercise tonight to try and release some anxiety and felt a pain in my left arm - tingling in my lips and of course immediately thought “here’s a heart attack”

of course it was just our good friend Panic making another unwanted appearance in my life. Absolutely shivering now and once again feeling utterly drained within an inch of my life.

and you know what I’m really upset because I spoke to my psychiatrist who was lovely over the phone and found the confidence to leave the house and still managed to have another attack this evening.