• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Need some advice

Faith198

Faith198

Hi everyone.
I want some advice on how to help my brother. He struggles with the worst form of Bipolar and he got broken up with 5 months ago. Fast forward, last night, his ex girlfriends’ ex boyfriend tagged her on a post saying that she was helping him paint his walls. This guy didn’t treat her very well but she went back to him.

She moved in with him and has been staying with him the past few months I guess. My brother had actually asked her if she wanted to move in with him, but she was unsure whether she was ready for that.

She basically got cold feet in the beginning and was unsure whether she was over her ex or not. She went through with dating my brother and then months later, dumped him, and got back with her ex.
My brother found out about it and now he is completely crushed. He’s having panic attacks and he can’t accept what he saw.
He always gets super super crushed when it comes to relationships.

I know I can’t fix this situation, but I would really love some advice to help him accept this and finally move on from her. It hurts to see him so upset and I know it’s so much worse for him having such bad depression and things.

thanks💚

JessisMe

JessisMe

First he is lucky to have such a caring and engaged sister. I think just being there for him is best. Unfortunately sometimes we just have to go through these things on our own and let the grieving process take it’s course. I would definitely keep tabs on the situation to make sure it doesn’t slip too far into depression or mania. Being willing to talk with him about it if he wants to may be appreciated. Keeping him occupied by going out together, watching movies, etc....might help to take his mind off if this disappointment also. These things happen in life even to those of us who suffer from mental illness. I’m sure your brother will appreciate you being a source of strength for him during this difficult time. :hug:

Faith198

Faith198

First he is lucky to have such a caring and engaged sister. I think just being there for him is best. Unfortunately sometimes we just have to go through these things on our own and let the grieving process take it’s course. I would definitely keep tabs on the situation to make sure it doesn’t slip too far into depression or mania. Being willing to talk with him about it if he wants to may be appreciated. Keeping him occupied by going out together, watching movies, etc....might help to take his mind off if this disappointment also. These things happen in life even to those of us who suffer from mental illness. I’m sure your brother will appreciate you being a source of strength for him during this difficult time. :hug:
thank you 🥺💚 yeah he called me last night and I was able to help him calm down. We talked this morning too. I would love to actually keep him company through this, but I think he is weary of having me over due to the current pandemic. He says talking to me helps but I am just worried for him. Worried he could take his life or go back to drinking.

He’s been sober for about 6 months now and he’s doing so good. He just got his life together and has his own place. I told him to not let this knock him down and that she isn’t worth chasing. I can only do so much though. He has a telephone appointment with his counselor today so I feel it worked out with how things happened. I’m really thankful he has an appointment today.

Thank you for your input 😊