• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Need some advice/experiences/general help Re. Lithium please

P

PyroInsomniac

Hey all. Haven't really properly checked in for a while so hope your all ok!!

I have a friend, whose also bipolar, and she's recently been put on Lithium. Unfortunately she's having a very very bad time on it and the doctor has today said she could be having an allergic reaction to it. The doctor also said they can't change her medication until she's seen her pdoc, which she can't until Monday.

She started it on Monday 4th June, and we're wondering what harm could be done if she stopped it today. She's only had 3 days worth of it. We know there's a risk of mania for abruptly stopping, but just wondered if there are any other risks? She's also on a low dose of Quetiapine currently. Can anyone help, advise or maybe share any experiences if they've been in the same boat?

I really really appreciate any replies or help you can give.

Yorkshirelass

Yorkshirelass

Hiya Pyro! Nice to see you around... Hope you're doing well :)

Wouldn't like to speculate about stopping lithium abruptly. The only advice I've ever been given is "don't"!

Could NHS Direct advise about withdrawal maybe? Just a thought. Four days is a long time if you're reacting badly to medication. I think it's worth ringing just to see how far you get.

If that's not an option or they can't help and the symptoms are really bad, do you have a crisis team number for your area? They should have an on-call pdoc. Don't know whether they'd give emergency advice though?

Sorry I can't be more help than that...

Take care,

YL x

I

iamfunky

I've taken Lithium for 10 years and would advise your friend not to just stop, she'll need to cut down, even if she's only just been on them. Do that herself if she has to, just down each night, but don't stop out right.

Hope she's ok.

xxxx

S

suzy

When you start you have a blood test every week, so maybe her level is way too high or something? Docs will sort maybe she just needs the blood test