• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Need reassurance - medication and falling in / out of love

W

Worriedyin

Hi,

I'm in a new relationship which has been 'official' since February although we started dating a year ago.

I recently got to the falling in love stage and had a great few weeks of excitement and affection. He didn't say it back - he's on lithium and an antidepressant and says he doesn't think he can feel those emotions but he's very loving in his behaviour.

I've recently stopped taking an antipsychotic and since then, a couple of weeks, I am just not feeling the same. He's been extra lovely, he came and made me breakfast the other day and made me dinner last night and we watched a movie.

I just don't feel like I can be bothered.

It's nice hanging out but I don't have the same feeling.

I thought when I was off meds I'd feel extra loved up from my dopamine circuits working again, but instead I feel really really flat.

Do you think it's just my brain chemistry or am I just detaching myself?

He can tell something is off as he said I'd been quiet.

Has anyone else been through this?

TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

Not hearing I love you back is surely a buzzkill. Meds definitely change your feelings towards things and it could take months to get back to normal after stopping one. Also him being on meds and not being able to feel love is also a turnoff when you feel more strongly about him than he does (or can) feel about you.

W

Worriedyin

Not hearing I love you back is surely a buzzkill. Meds definitely change your feelings towards things and it could take months to get back to normal after stopping one. Also him being on meds and not being able to feel love is also a turnoff when you feel more strongly about him than he does (or can) feel about you.
It wasn't really a surprise / shock though and he acts in a very caring way so it wasn't an issue.

It feels a bit like a switch has been clicked in my mind, from 'on' to 'off' - told him I'm feeling a bit blah but think it's best I'm not too honest and hope things go back to normal soon.

Z

Zoe1

n yes I have had that
my feelings for someone can change
with a change of medication
even a course of antibiotics has been known
to end a romance

I realised with that going on
I need good friends
my feelings for them wont change

:hug5: 🌠 🔥

W

Worriedyin

n yes I have had that
my feelings for someone can change
with a change of medication
even a course of antibiotics has been known
to end a romance

I realised with that going on
I need good friends
my feelings for them wont change

:hug5: 🌠 🔥
I hope it doesn't end the romance because I know when I'm back to normal I'd be really upset about it.

It makes me feel better that I'm not alone but I don't really understand what's going on, I thought I would feel more, not less.

I'm seeing some friends tomorrow but it feels a bit like a chore, but I think focusing on something else will do me good.

Z

Zoe1

you might feel more in the long run
in the short term a change of meds can be pretty overwhelming
I have had extra support with my mh
when undergoing a change of meds

yes try to get through the friends meeting
it will help

x x x

W

Worriedyin

Just an update, he is being better than ever and hasn't cancelled or changed plans at all and is going out of his way to see me - we had dinner and went to the cinema on Monday night and then had lunch with a friend yesterday.

Still not feeling the way I was but feeling a bit better, I feel guilty that he's been worried as I've been texting less etc. He clearly wants to make things work though so that's very reassuring.

TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

That's great that it is improving. Don't feel guilty, if you are not in the mood right now to text so much it's ok.

W

Worriedyin

I feel like I'm back in love again. I'm very lucky he has been so patient and kind to me while I've been slightly off with him.