• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Need opinions, ideas, anything to help.

F

FoxTom

First post besides for my intro post and a bit long winded.
Numbed my pain for years with alcohol. Finally learned I suffered from depression and anxiety about 2 years ago and stopped drinking and have been on many medication plans. Currently I take 10mg Lexapro a day, 1mg Klonopin 2x a day and 150XL Bupropion every other day. This has been the best combo so far but issues are returning.
Seems like if I don't have some type of excitement in my life I don't feel a thing. I can also only be with people for a small amount of time or they start annoying me and I feel like I want to snap. This even happens with family and at work. Go for drives at night to be alone. Mind jumps all over the place. But the no feelings thing gets to me. Something great could happen and I feel nothing. It's like I need a physical rush to actually have any feelings. Rarely have interest in anything anymore. I go to the gym a lot but have to force myself to actually go everytime.
Anyone else have any of these issues?

L

Ladyfair

First post besides for my intro post and a bit long winded.
Numbed my pain for years with alcohol. Finally learned I suffered from depression and anxiety about 2 years ago and stopped drinking and have been on many medication plans. Currently I take 10mg Lexapro a day, 1mg Klonopin 2x a day and 150XL Bupropion every other day. This has been the best combo so far but issues are returning.
Seems like if I don't have some type of excitement in my life I don't feel a thing. I can also only be with people for a small amount of time or they start annoying me and I feel like I want to snap. This even happens with family and at work. Go for drives at night to be alone. Mind jumps all over the place. But the no feelings thing gets to me. Something great could happen and I feel nothing. It's like I need a physical rush to actually have any feelings. Rarely have interest in anything anymore. I go to the gym a lot but have to force myself to actually go everytime.
Anyone else have any of these issues?
Hi welcome! Have you talked to your Dr about how your feeling? Maybe your meds need to be changed. 😊

F

FoxTom

They've been changed so many times and I feel ok for a few months and then back to this. Makes me more depressed. Now he just retired so I'm looking for a new DR.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Hi @FoxTom
Yes, I have motivation issues, just like you going to the gym. For example, I have to motivate myself to take a shower or clean up piles of papers on the floor. I've read that some medications can also cause numbness. These medications may affect how the brain processes mood and emotion. In the below article it mentions that feeling emotionally numb becomes a way of life to protect from further emotional or physical pain.

Here's the article on emotional numbness:

Emotional Numbness

2Much2Feel

Welcome, FoxTom. Yeah, the lack of interest, lack of energy, and the irritability all make sense with depression. Then the guilt comes after the irritability from lashing out. My moods change so much, it's hard to feel one second like going off on someone, then the next moment I don't know why I did it and feel horrible. But def on a short leash when I get depressed. It sucks.

I'm on klonopin as well, .75mg/day. Have been for 35 years now. One thing I do know from going up and down and all over with it is that it can really cause more depression, I get really emotional and depressed when I go up on it when I am having severe anxiety, always pay the next day w tears and darkness.

Haven't been on lexapro or burpion for years, and wish I'd kept a journal of all these meds I've been on so I could better remember what my experience was, but we're all different, so it may not help. I'm borderline, and have massive depression issues, btw.

Be careful with the klonopin. It can really mess with your mood and energy level. It's good you're seeing a new doctor who can hopefully find the right mix, which is always a crapshoot, hard to nail down what works and what causes more problems. Hard to find a good doctor, but when you do, hold on to him or her. So I wish you luck with finding a good doctor who will listen to you and try to maybe keep a journal of your doses and moods to see what the correlation is. I know it's one more thing to worry about when you're depressed as it is, but even just jotting down a note or two can save you a lot in the future as reference to help you get on the right med, right dose. I hope you get good and helpful advice here as well. :)

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

"I'm on klonopin as well, .75mg/day. Have been for 35 years now. One thing I do know from going up and down and all over with it is that it can really cause more depression, I get really emotional and depressed when I go up on it when I am having severe anxiety, always pay the next day w tears and darkness."

My psychiatrist mentioned this exact same thing to me. Going up on Klonopin can cause more depression. I don't know if I really experienced more depression. Sometimes when I try to fall asleep because my mind is racing and my anxiety is really high, I can increase the dosage of Klonopin in steps up to 2 mg in order for me to fall asleep. It's rare for me to do this though.

2Much2Feel

"I'm on klonopin as well, .75mg/day. Have been for 35 years now. One thing I do know from going up and down and all over with it is that it can really cause more depression, I get really emotional and depressed when I go up on it when I am having severe anxiety, always pay the next day w tears and darkness."

My psychiatrist mentioned this exact same thing to me. Going up on Klonopin can cause more depression. I don't know if I really experienced more depression. Sometimes when I try to fall asleep because my mind is racing and my anxiety is really high, I can increase the dosage of Klonopin in steps up to 2 mg in order for me to fall asleep. It's rare for me to do this though.
wow, that would knock me out, for sure. I tend to hit the NyQuil when I'm having one of those nights...:)

F

FoxTom

I use it to sleep also half the time.