• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Need help with medications

F

Faith04

hello . I am going to explain my situation and I would love any help and support.I have had panic attacks, OCD and anxiety since I graduated and have been on Paxil on and off ever since ( 10mg never higher ). I am now 41. About 5 months ago I wasn't taking my Paxil properly , I was missing doses, not taking it for days, then taking it. I met a boyfriend and never was so happy in my life. I thought that since I was so good that I would stop the Paxil . I didn't think it was working anyways, but I must of been wrong. About 3 months after , I had a very traumatic situation happen that through me into Anxiety , OCD and panic attacks again. I immediately went to the doctor ( different doctor than I had for the past 30 years) and she suggested to go back on Paxil because it has worked for me so well in the past . So I went on 5 mg from oct 28 to Nov 4, then went up to 10 mg. Expecting to be better just as fast as I did before . That is not the case. I then went to 15 mg for about 7 days and now since dec 6 on 20 mg. I have been on Paxil now from Oct 31 till today Dec 13 and I am struggling. I still have zero appetite , hard time sleeping. I am on 25 mg of quetiapine to help with sleep. I think it has helped but not nearly as much as it did in the past.Before when I went on Paxil I got sideffects like diarreah , yawning, and nothing this time. I have had all this time off of work. I am hardly functioning, my mom has been staying with me to help , and help with the kids. I dont want to talk to anyone, leave my house very much, I dont care about Christmas and I am scared of everything. Shouldn't I be better yet? My doctor game me .5 of lorazepam and 1 mg and I try really hard not to take them so I dont get dependent on them . Sometimes I feel like I am going insane, I have already been to the emergency room 2 in 2 weeks, I am having a really hard time. I am terrified. My next doctor appointment is in 6 days. Should I consider switching to Zoloft? Is it hard to switch ? Im scared of coming off the Paxil and getting on the Zoloft. How do they switch? Please give me all the details as I am terrified. Please give me advice of to switch or keep going on the Paxil ( the higher I go on Paxil the harder it will be to come off ). And is Zoloft (sertaline) a good one to switch too? Since it is the same SSRI , can they switch me straight across? Please help me, I feel so alone

J

JuneBug104

How did it go at your doctors appointment? If you’re still wondering how they switch they usually taper you off the old medication and slowly increase the dose of the new one, that’s all. :) Also try not to get too discouraged if a medication doesn’t work right away. A lot of these types of medications have to build up in your blood stream over the course of a few weeks. If you’re really struggling however I would see your doctor. Are you seeing someone like a GP or a psychiatrist?

F

Faith04

Hello Jade624...Thank you so much for your reply
My doctors appointment went good. They tapered me off the Paxil and on the Zoloft within a week with no side effects.. I was really surprised about the zero side effects.. I have read horror stories about ppl side effects to Zoloft .. I was wondering, if someone doesnt get side effects from starting an ssri, does that mean it is not going to work?
I have been on 50 mg of Zoloft for a week starting dec 17 then going to 100 mg starting On dec 23..So I have been on 100 mg of Zoloft since dec 23, so only 13 days. My sleep has really improved, appetite a little I would say but not a lot ( I think the anxiety that I have all day really kills it) ..I am on short term lorazepam to help with the anxiety. I have total ups and downs, some days are ok other are terrible only on an anxiety scale and worries thoughts. I am seeing a GP and a psychiatrist for medications. I was on Quetiapine 25 mg for sleep but dont use that much anymore.I am also going to start seeing a Councellor on Monday and see if that helps. How long until Zoloft reaches a steady state in your body for me to start noticing real possitive effects such as less anxiety, racing thoughts, and constant worry? looking forward to hearing back from you

J

JuneBug104

I’m so happy to hear you’re feeling slightly better. Finding the right type and dose of medication can be very frustrating as you’re usually so desperate to just feel better and get back to normal. I would imagine that desperation is intensified when you have kids to take care of. From my experience no initial side effects isn’t at all indicative of a medication not being effective. I hardly ever feel any side effects (except for maybe when I miss a dose) and have had a fair amount of success on certain medications. Again, I’m not a doctor and am not trying to downplay the dangers of benzodiazepines, but i saw you mentioned in your initial post you try not to take your lorazepam. Be safe and only take as directed but don’t let yourself suffer too much. If you need it take it. It’s great you’re seeing a counsellor soon. They help immensely if you’re open to their advice and instruction. I’m not totally sure exactly how long until Zoloft reaches a steady state. You could always try asking your psychiatrist or pharmacist. Don’t be afraid to reach out to your pharmacist if you have any questions. They’re actually very knowledgable and sometimes know more about medications than doctors. Stay strong. Like I said I know it’s hard, but just keep doing what you’re supposed to do (keep your doctor informed as to whether meds are working, do what the counsellor says etc) and you WILL start to feel better.

F

Faith04

Awww JuneBug104....You made me cry...everything you have said in this post is so accurate and straight from the heart. I see you are from Canada... what part if you dont mind me asking...I too am from Canada ....you gave me hope , realistic hope. thank you

J

JuneBug104

Awe you’re welcome honey. I’m glad I could help at least a little. It seems like all this medication stuff is new to you and I think you’re really brave for having posted about it. Most people don’t have the courage to talk about things like that at first. I’m from Ontario. A little town about an hour east of Toronto. How about yourself?

F

Faith04

Im in a little town about 1.5 hours from Vancouver ...I talk and ask help any time I can ..I want to get better...My appetite is still not that great....still hoping for that to correct itself.. I have lost over 10 pounds in 2 months which I absolutely hate.. I just want to have a healthy appetite again and get back to my normal weight..But I guesss I am still pretty early on the Zoloft...just waiting day by day

J

JuneBug104

Would love to see BC. I went to Banff on vacation when I was younger and it was beautiful. I would imagine it’s just as pretty where you’re from. Canada is such a beautiful place but I feel like people near Toronto get kind of ripped off because it’s so urban out here. It’s so hard to eat when you have anxiety. My anxiety even makes me nauseous sometimes, so I can relate to you there. It’s good you’re taking it one day at a time, that’s really important. I struggle with that one but I’m trying. Do you have a good support system beyond doctors therapists etc?... it sounds like your moms pretty understanding? If she’s helping you, I mean.