• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Need help with identifying my problem

Angelfish

Angelfish

I know for a fact that there is something off about me. In highschool i was with the special needs kids, and i've heard countless times by my parents and teachers that my behaviour isn't exactly normal. However, i was never really made clear on what my problem was.
I don't know if there's any professionals on here that can tell me (if there is that would be great) though i guess i'm mostly hoping to find people that can relate.

So you see, i have alot of trouble talking. I speak fluent english and when things are casual i can sort of hold up a conversation but it seems like whenever i have to explain myself, or if there's something i want to get off my chest, or if i'm pressured to answer a question, i just completely lose the ability to talk properly or even at all.
I always get so frustrated when some asks me what's wrong and i cant answer them, which makes them think that i'm stuck up or too stubborn to answer. I don't even have the ability to say that I can't talk and because I usually can speak, no one will ever believe me. Sometimes it gets so bad that i break into tears. I prettymuch have to avoid arguments and confrontation at all costs.
I remember getting a brief glimpse at my student record and seeing what some of my special needs were: i was required to have more time to finish tests and that i needed constant praise. I know there was more things but those were the two that stuck with me.
Usually i just read up on stuff like this but I don't even know what I'm supposed to be looking for.

exyz

exyz

Hi Angelfish:welcome:

That must be a very distressing condition for you. No one here can diagnose you at all that is something you need to see about in 3D talking to your doctor to start with.

There is a condition called aphonia but that is physical damage to vocal chords for example and what you are talking about seems to be something more.

I suffer from something called aphasia which is similar to what you describe. sometimes I cannot get the words together to speak in real life especially if stressed. Mostly this is linked to brain damage and I have an acquired brain injury which is the reason for me being like that.

So it would not be right for us here to try and diagnose. I do understand how distressing it is though.

Could you make an appointment with your doctor in Canada and ask for help in working out the cause.

You are very welcome to join in here and chat to us all, and glad to meet you.:welcome:

S

SusanV1994

Angelfish,
Not being able to communicate with people is frustrating. When I am stressed, I stutter. But as exyz stated, I am not qualified to offer you a diagnosis. I am so sorry that you are this position. Is it possible you can ask your parents? If that is not a possibility have you considered seeking a diagnosis from a doctor or other medical professional? I know that might be scary, but with a proper diagnosis, perhaps you would find treatment.