• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Need Help with anxious obsessive thoughts please

T

Tony214

Hi everybody. New here. I was diagnosed w OCD not that long ago and struggle with depression and anxiety. Long story short I had some issues w my wife in July where we were separated for the month. Got back together and things are going pretty well. I have this innate fear though, that I cannot shake, that the marriage will end in divorce. This is because I keep seeing the word divorce EVERYWHERE I LOOK all the time. My therapist says it’s like confirmation bias where we scan for the threat etc and look for it. Sort of like when you buy a red car and start seeing red cars everywhere. I’m seeing the word in movies , in things I read, hearing it on the radio etc and it is freaking me out as I internalize it as some sort of sign my marriage will end. This can’t be true and I need some input and help please. Please. I am struggling hard with this and it sends me into panic every time I see it. Thank you.

dontknowwhattodowithoutyou

dontknowwhattodowithoutyou

Hi Tony,
you seem to be struggling from magical thinking! Indeed, what you experience also sounds like confirmation bias. It is all just coincidence. Did you have this fear with other words before?

Why do you rationally assume your marriage will not work out? Did you have negative experiences in the past?

T

Tony214

Hi Tony,
you seem to be struggling from magical thinking! Indeed, what you experience also sounds like confirmation bias. It is all just coincidence. Did you have this fear with other words before?

Why do you rationally assume your marriage will not work out? Did you have negative experiences in the past?
Thank you so much for your input it means a lot to hear that. I never have before this is my first time. It’s been scary to say the least for me as my mind spirals when it sees the word.

T

Tony214

Thank you so much for your input it means a lot to hear that. I never have before this is my first time. It’s been scary to say the least for me as my mind spirals when it sees the word.
I was separated from my wife for the month of July as we had some issues with our marriage. Just tired from mental health and time in the Army wore us both down.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I look at my own sticky thoughts and say, "ah! Brain is trying to protect me from potential threats by seeing patterns where none exist."

The message is sent but I don't have "accept delivery" of the emotions that follow the thoughts.

Because thoughts aren't facts.

"Ah. Thinking about divorce again. Hmm. Ok. What else is going on?"

D

dhs94

I'm not married, but I do know intrusive thoughts can be very stressful and scary and I'm sure in the context of something that is so near and dear to you it's hard. I think it's really important to not only keep seeing your therapist about this and discussing it with them, but to include your wife in on the process. Let her know that she may need to give you a little extra reassurance. And that's ok!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G I just need general help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
T A half false memory I have that’s making me more confused HOCD (need help) *NSFW* Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
B Recently diagnosed need help and advice on cheating OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
C Need some help since I am in a very worst phase. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
LRDNerd98 OCD: I Need Help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
W Need help with soap question Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
O Need some help.. new here !! urgent Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
D Need help/advice for dealing with ocd/ perfectionism Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
H Need Support - Contamination Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
L Struggling to come to terms with possible OCD. I need some home truths Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J In a tough spot. don't know how to move forward and i need advice. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 11
J I need advice. (trust issues and OCD) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
T Need advice. My situation with OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J I have this OCD episode right now and I need advice on how to deal with it Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
L Please I need advice Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
Z Hello. New here. Need reassurance Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
S Does this indicate some level of OCD? I need real advice! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
R I'm hoping this is just an obsession but I'm not sure and need a sanity check... Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
L I need to not freak out if someone touches my stuff Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
S need some friends! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 24
E HELP!! i am losing MY SANITY! WAS THAT A NEW COINCIDENCE!??????????????? I CANT UNDERSTAND! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
J Can’t Find Help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
T HOCD my long and difficult battle with “futa” please help (long read sorry) *NSFW* Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
S help is it ocd or just anxiety? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
E Real event ocd - any help appreciated! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
E Dealing with OCD, help, i'm afraid i'm gonna end my life Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
R No help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M Wife is sliding ever deeply into OCD. Please help! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
F Please help its for my little girl Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
Q Help!!!!! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
S I have ocd, help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
October Rust going to try to get help because i deserve it Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
Z Help. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
T Please help, how do I get over this (HOCD) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 0
L MEDICATIONS that help/effective for OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
L Help! Think I'm in a ROCD relationship Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
L Help, please? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 12
D Ocd religious help! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
S Resisting compulsions and suffering greatly help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 11
M Can anyone help me. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
B Girlfriend with Pure OCD - Please help!!! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
S Please help I feel sick Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
S Cheating ocd please help and respond Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
C Obsessions over personality traits. PLEASE HELP Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 48
jonjonzz47 Safety of others OCD thought - Please Help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
L HOCD please help really struggling Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 29
D Unable to see a therapist at the moment, any help is greatly an deeply appreciated Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
L HELP: Intrusive Thoughts During Sex Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
S How to help my partner with (existential) OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
T Is there anything yall do to help deal with real life events? i'm really struggling Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6