• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Need help on identifying a food problen

I

Irishgirl

Hi I'm 30, since I was 13-15 I developed an eating problem.
I deal with it alone but it's too much now as I can't identify it nor speak openingly in detail of this.
It began by picking through meals, making it look like I'd ate food to going days with no food which developed into 2 weeks of none.
At a time i would binge eat on junk then purge, this however has disappeared.
I now time to time will get the no eating for a week, sometimes i can disguise it if im home alone and others i have to force feed myself which will only be dinner.
I avoid breakfast, lunch and snacking completely.
The idea of eating can and will make me sick.
The textures of foods make me sick, the smells too, seeing people eat on tv for example makes me sick, the decision of food choices is extremely difficult to the point i struggle to pick and often will go hungry. I ignore for the most part the hunger sensation to avoid eating.
Sometimes i will make up a dish to only not want it in the end because the idea of eating is sickening.
I often avoid food because i feel fat but i am not.
I just can't put a name to this problem or how to manage it
Can anyone help me please

Keesha

Keesha

I’d suggest seeking professional health for your eating issues.

G

goodgollymiss

What about a fruit veggi smoothie. There are recipes online

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
Do you have calorific drinks? It is good you have managed to maintain a healthy weight whilst suffering from this.
I would see your GP and get some therapy to help with your issues.

E

EverydayPeople

I'm not a professional in this area, but this sounds like a form of anorexia. If I were you I would seek professional help at this point. Limiting food intake long term can cause damage to organs and the brain. Body Dismorphia is when a person sees themselves as fat, but they are not, I think. I'm trying to be light about this, but I strongly encourage you to share these things with a professional doctor, for the sake of your health long term. There is help out there, and you certainly are not alone in this as similar things have happened to many good people just like you.
And perhaps there is a chance that you have a protein alergy or something, that turns you off to lots of food, and you just have never had someone evaluate it properly to help you understand why your body is so turned off by many foods. Again, I'm no doctor, but I am aware of the consequences of starving the body and brain and it is a serious matter worth getting to the bottom of. I think we all deserve to accept and enjoy our bodies , and I sincerely hope you get to the point that you do.