• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Need an alternative to Pregabalin, any ideas of what I should maybe ask for?

L

Lost.Boy

Need an alternative to Pregabalin, any ideas of what I should maybe ask for?

I've been on Pregabalin for 5 years nearly now, all the way from 75mg x2 to 300mg x2 and now 200mg x2. The reason for coming down a dose was as a result of a chance talk with a pharmacist, the first person to ever check my vitals whilst on it. He discovered I had tachycardia and high blood pressure to the point he was gravely concerned about me being on it, so I agreed with my doc initially a few days later to cut down with a view to seeing a doctor at my local mental health service provider soon to change to something else, this is where my problems currently lie....

I am scared, so so scared about coming off it, I know the withdrawl i've had just cutting down to 400 a day rather than 600 has been awful, waking up at 5am each day, feeling hot and cold, the usual, I would expect months later to be over this but I still suffer, so worry about what coming off it completely would be like, i've no idea what parts of me are me and what are the drug now as it's been so long.

I'm already more passive when i'd actually grown some balls to put it bluntly, I don't dare argue with people when I was doing well, almost too well at times, but now i'm back to being a church mouse almost. I realise I must come off it as recently I have also discovered heart problems run in the family and have had a lot of pains recently and cold extremities along with blue hands occasionally :( I almost don't care and wish for a heart attack but if I die I don't want it to be painful. I think I may have had one years back but it was ruled out by my doc as I was "too young for a heart attack"!

I need to make sure they don't fob me off with anything weak that won't work, so anyone please suggest what I could ask for as an alternative as I have one chance to see this one doc and don't want to be worse off if they take away what has been a vital safety net for me and leave me stranded with something that won't touch my anxiety issues, let alone anything else I need to have help with.

I know i'm addicted to this stuff, hopelessly so to the point that I feel life would be pointless without it, the idea of not taking it any more saddens me like i'm losing an old friend. Classic drug addiction, not helped by the fact addiction also runs in my family!

You could say I feel lost at the moment with life throwing all it can at me to make me give up, i'm close to the edge and want to die so need to think carefully about what I am going to agree to next week.:low:

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I don't have any experience on being on these types of medications, but just wanted to wish you the best and I hope you can find something suitable for you soon so that you feel better.