• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

need advice

A

act044

So it was brought up to me by my pdoc that I shouldnt have anymore kids due to my disorder has a genetic factor and going off my meds through pregnacy is not safe. I have an appoinment with my family doc today to talk about getting my tubes tied. I cannot go on birth control because of my meds and other alternatives make me nervous. I do not want anymore kids at this time but what if later on I do? Will I ever be okay enough to go off my meds to have another? Should I go through with it? I dont know if I really want to go through with it. I am really nervous. I was told it is a good idea for my health but I am nervous. I need some advice. Is it really the best thing? He didnt say go out and get your tubes tied but if I shouldnt have kids its the only thing I see.

BlueGlass

BlueGlass

Former member
I am not sure about the genetic factor being true or not, but it is your choice, you never know what will happen in the future you may become stabler and manage off meds.
Unless you are 100% sure this is what you want I wouldn't.
I would ask for a second opinion.

W

white-witch

I agree with BlueGlass, ask for a second opinion.

Having your tubes tied is a very big decision and if like it sounds by you saying 'what if you want kids later on' there is doubt, then having your tubes tied is not the answer.

Definitely ask for a second opinion.

A

act044

Thank you for your opinions I think im going to hold off for now. I have been doing alot of thinking and what if I meet someone then decide I want more. My family doc also said the gyno most likely wouldn't do it being bipolar. He said they might say im making a decision when I could be in an unstable state so they may not do it. Im just in a jumble right now. Not really sure what I want or what I could want. So I am going to hold off and get a second opinion. Thank you.

A

act044

So I had a discussion with my pdoc about getting my tubes tied and he doesnt think I should do something that permanent. There could be a time when I am ready to have more kids and be stable enough to be off my meds. So that eased my mind.

megirl

megirl

I havnt really wanted kids hubby is the same.
I have a couple of friends that have 2-5 year olds and i love being part of their life.
I just over the 6 months have gone through a bit of 'What if? Maybe i could adopt?
I know my heart is just grieving a little bit that realisticly If I were to come of any of my meds I would definitely be ill, then I would be in no state to look after babies. It would be fair on them.
Even if I could still take the meds and they didnt affect pregnancy then I honestly know that being responsible for another life form would to much of a stress factor and then I would be unable to cope.
I know as I need meds to sleep i wouldnt be able to wake up enough when baby needs feeding/ etc...

Hubby has had a vastectomy also.

A

act044

yah I have one and it is hard. My meds make me feel alot better so I can handle it. I love my little boy to peices but wouldnt be able to handle coming off my meds to have another. It did make me feel better to hear that at some point in the future I may be able to cope without meds. I hope that is a possibility. At this point in time I do not want anymore kids but maybe once I meet someone special they will. Right now I am so unstable I dont feel like I would ever be able to cope on my own. This imcrease is finally making me feel better but I still feel kind of hopeless about the future in alot of aspects.