• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Need advice?

S

Shay94

How do you know if you've got bipolar disorder? My partner has said to me few times that I may have it along with depression/anxiety etc but docs have never tested me for it so i dont know. He said my moods can change quickly sometimes like one min I'll care bout something/show emotions, the next its like they disappear entirely & i dont give a shit bout anything, which then turns to depression. Any advice/exp would help me lots, thanks

Zana

Zana

First it's important to understand what Bipolar is so I'd suggest researching the backside out of it and taking a good look back at the past few years or even your lifetime and seeing if your research resonates anywhere. I did that and luckily I'd kept a journal for a year and charted my moods which helped a lot. Keeping a log of your moods is essential so an app on your phone is a good idea called; eMoods is on the play store and it's just perfect but I'm sure there are others.

Without self-diagnosing, once you have done some research and had a good think about it, make an appointment with your GP/doctor and they will let you know what happens next. Likely it will be as assessment from a psychiatrist.

Please remember that Bipolar is quite a misunderstood illness by the majority of people and also that a few symptoms here and there don't make up a diagnosis. Furthermore, many illnesses share some symptoms and so can be more difficult to diagnose - that's why speaking to a psychiatrist is the key.

I can't link anything as I'm still a new member but can provide some useful videos and articles if you like.

Best of luck and God bless!

S

Shay94

First it's important to understand what Bipolar is so I'd suggest researching the backside out of it and taking a good look back at the past few years or even your lifetime and seeing if your research resonates anywhere. I did that and luckily I'd kept a journal for a year and charted my moods which helped a lot. Keeping a log of your moods is essential so an app on your phone is a good idea called; eMoods is on the play store and it's just perfect but I'm sure there are others.

Without self-diagnosing, once you have done some research and had a good think about it, make an appointment with your GP/doctor and they will let you know what happens next. Likely it will be as assessment from a psychiatrist.

Please remember that Bipolar is quite a misunderstood illness by the majority of people and also that a few symptoms here and there don't make up a diagnosis. Furthermore, many illnesses share some symptoms and so can be more difficult to diagnose - that's why speaking to a psychiatrist is the key.

I can't link anything as I'm still a new member but can provide some useful videos and articles if you like.

Thank you, i appreciate it. Was just wondering if anyone had like suspicions of them possibly being bipolar before going to the docs. I'll do some research of it later this arvo 😋 I appreciate the help

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

How do you know if you've got bipolar disorder? My partner has said to me few times that I may have it along with depression/anxiety etc but docs have never tested me for it so i dont know. He said my moods can change quickly sometimes like one min I'll care bout something/show emotions, the next its like they disappear entirely & i dont give a shit bout anything, which then turns to depression. Any advice/exp would help me lots, thanks
Just remember to consider the whole situation as a whole. I've seen a person being diagnosed with bipolar just after a divorce when in reality they were just disturbed. Also bipolar can't be detected in brain scans. That is something strange and needs to be thought about. A disease blamed on the brain but in so many years has never been detected? If
you go into mania pills are great they save lives but just be careful. This condition among leading bodies of research say it can take up to 10 years to diagnose this. It shouldn't take that long to sort a problem out. As someone experienced with this condition always look at your life as a whole in every aspect of your health and not just rely on a pill. Check your sleeping habits, inner unresolved disturbances etc. I haven't had an episode for 5 years so I must be doing something right and not have the debilitating condition I was told I have.

S

Shay94

Thank you, i appreciate all the advice. Will be doing some researching later tonight

Zana

Zana

As someone experienced with this condition always look at your life as a whole in every aspect of your health and not just rely on a pill. Check your sleeping habits, inner unresolved disturbances etc. I
Couldn't agree more - lifestyle changes like eating regularly and healthily, getting exercise and keeping a sleep routine are so essential when overcoming mental health issues.

@TheHeartHasAVoice I do recall seeing somewhere studies of the brains of bipolar patients and there were some consistent differences in the quantity of grey matter in certain sections of the brain. But I think this was aimed at patients who had suffered with the illness for some time and it also compared those who took lithium with those who didn't. As I'm sure you're aware - some interesting reads out there.

S

Shay94

Couldn't agree more - lifestyle changes like eating regularly and healthily, getting exercise and keeping a sleep routine are so essential when overcoming mental health issues.

@TheHeartHasAVoice I do recall seeing somewhere studies of the brains of bipolar patients and there were some consistent differences in the quantity of grey matter in certain sections of the brain. But I think this was aimed at patients who had suffered with the illness for some time and it also compared those who took lithium with those who didn't. As I'm sure you're aware - some interesting reads out there.
thank you, I'll do research tonight and see what I can find. My partner has said sometimes my moods can change quickly depending on the day or if anything has happened to piss me off etc. I can feel emotional about something & next min, I wont give a shit. Scares me sometimes with how quick I can suddenly not care bout anything but I think part of it is due to being abandoned so many times over the years by people who I considered friends (turns out they weren't) & also my Dad leaving us when I was 3

K

Kmw

Hi Shay94
I’m in exactly the same mindframe lately. My doctor is treating me for depression but I honestly feel like it’s much worse. When I look back I’m pretty sure my mother and brother suffered with this too without ever getting diagnosed. My brother has since died of suicide. I don’t have elated highs but I often feel extra energy and spend money that I don’t have. I also medicate with alcohol daily and often think of suicide. I’m just not sure how to bring this up with my GP because he thinks my depression is linked to an ugly divorce. But this has been going on for years and it’s possibly why I am now divorced. I really hope this doesn’t pass onto my children because life is really hard like this. I really hope you get the help you need.

S

Shay94

Hi Shay94
I’m in exactly the same mindframe lately. My doctor is treating me for depression but I honestly feel like it’s much worse. When I look back I’m pretty sure my mother and brother suffered with this too without ever getting diagnosed. My brother has since died of suicide. I don’t have elated highs but I often feel extra energy and spend money that I don’t have. I also medicate with alcohol daily and often think of suicide. I’m just not sure how to bring this up with my GP because he thinks my depression is linked to an ugly divorce. But this has been going on for years and it’s possibly why I am now divorced. I really hope this doesn’t pass onto my children because life is really hard like this. I really hope you get the help you need.
Thank you, I hope you get the help you need too. I dont cope by alcohol, I stopped that couple of years ago after my last relationship ended. I have also thought of suicide often but my partner is my biggest support right now, he's pushed me to keep going & as he suffers depression/anxiety himself, he knows exactly what I'm going thru. I appreciate it every day and am doing everything possible to find ways to keep my mind occupied from those thoughts so i don't spiral down that way again

F

Failing Heart

Great advice Zana. One thing I struggled with when I was researching bipolar is that I didn’t really understand what the symptoms they were talking about really meant. I found it very helpful to listen to testimonials of people that have bipolar.... It was like they were inside my head and it made it much more clear to me what the symptoms meant and how they felt.

F

Failing Heart

thank you, I'll do research tonight and see what I can find. My partner has said sometimes my moods can change quickly depending on the day or if anything has happened to piss me off etc. I can feel emotional about something & next min, I wont give a shit. Scares me sometimes with how quick I can suddenly not care bout anything but I think part of it is due to being abandoned so many times over the years by people who I considered friends (turns out they weren't) & also my Dad leaving us when I was 3
This is all sounding familiar… But often times symptoms from different diseases and disorders overlap… In this case I’m not really sure which diagnosis it is that makes me feel the same way you were describing

F

Failing Heart

Hi Shay94
Just because you don’t have elated highs… Doesn’t mean you havent experienced some type of mania or hypomania. Keep in mind that all of these feelings are relative… I had no idea that my good mood was more elated than other people feel because that was my “normal”. Even as a young child I knew I felt sadness more Intensely than others. If your GP won’t listen to you...find a new one! Don’t let any more time pass where you feel this way. The more you know… The more you will be equipped to help your kids if you have passed it on.

K

Kmw

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement. It is so nice coming on here and being able to be ourselves and not feel judged. It has saved me. I will try to get to the doctors when they are seeing patients again. I guess deep down I know what’s wrong but don’t really want to face it. Thank you again.

F

Failing Heart

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement. It is so nice coming on here and being able to be ourselves and not feel judged. It has saved me. I will try to get to the doctors when they are seeing patients again. I guess deep down I know what’s wrong but don’t really want to face it. Thank you again.
Yes, this forum is often times the only place I can go to feel understood❤. I have been doing video psychiatry appointments and honestly I feel like they are not that different from going into the office… I might do it from now on!