• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

need advice

A

angiebabes

ive been offered a job on a temperary basis, working with people with mental health problems, who live within the community, these people have challenging behaviour

this is my first time working with this client group and i am nervious as i dont know what to expect, or how to deal with it,

the employers have been really good with me, and thats how they have offered me temp work, starting me off with just a couple of shifts, as a trial period, so i know whether the job is right for me, plus whether i am right for them without it effecting any benefits i may get from the government, and if everything is ok, they are willing to offer me more shifts on a temp basis, will they will support me will i attend college to get my hnc,, and may offer me permenant position if one arises

can someone please tell me, what kind of behaviour i would expect, and how would deal with it please, so i know roughly what to expect b4 i start.

D

Dollit

The behaviour would depend on diagnosis, severity of the condition, whether there is medication involved. The people to whom you should be asking this question are the people who have offered you the job. I don't really know quite what to feel about this question to be honest.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
A bit of a tough question cos every person that may have the label 'challenging behaviour' is different, I did some agancy work while I was student and this involved wroking with all different service users that had a vairety of diagnosed/ unidagnosed MH issues and I worked with service users that had a wider spectrum of LD and those with a dual diagnosis to. As Dolit says you really need to be asking the employer.... the improtant thing is that you do ask and never assume or try and second guess what you are 'ment' to be doing or saying if you dont know ask work collegues/ management etc, but try and be yourself. The only advice I would give is that every person you deliver care to is an individual and to try and make this your ethos as a care giver.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Sounds good to me intelgal - I particularly like the last bit about centreing your practice on the belief that everyone is an individual - it's too easy to get sidetracked from this by labels and I guess mental health is probably more of a victim in this as the conditions / illnesses are so variable it might sometimes feel easier to just stick with the 'easy' label.

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
You will have the same protection and the same employment rights as anyone else working in any part of the community angiebabes.
I would suggest the same as above and speak to your employer,it will give you a good idea of what the job is about.

BigAl

BigAl

Founding Member
I can only realy echo the above sentiments!
I work with adults with undiagnosed and diagnosed mental health conditions, dual diagnosis who are at risk of homelessness and i find the client centred approach to be the best approach.
I take each client as they are and concentrate on how their condition, symptoms affect them each individually by listening and not pre judging based on what i know about a condition.
It is usefull to be informed where possible on what the condition 'typically' means from a Psychiatric point of view but only as an indicator of possible risk and issues that there maybe, but when it comes to working with my clients individually it is worth putting this to one side and listening to the presenting issues and working out effective stratergies for that client based on their own knowledge and insight with guidance and support form me and my team and external agencies.

(Hope this makes sense)

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Sounds like an approach that I'd appreciate! Well done BigAl.

I

Ikkutz

I need help just quit my job of 20 years .. Very depressed took over dose .. Sexual harassed in 2014 .. He got a week off with pay .. Me , no counseling no nothing ..so was I wrong for quitting my job and walking away from the place that made me so depressed was I wrong where do I go from here