• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Need advice on how to help my friend

A

alexNY

I have a friend who I'm totally sure has an eating disorder. I'm really worried about him and I don't know what to do as I've tried everything I can think of.

He barely eats anything, he obsessively checks the calorie content of what little he does eat. He also exercises excessively. It's not out of the ordinary for him to do several gym glasses in a day and top it off with a run.

He's so underweight that he looks seriously ill. He's stick thin but still thinks he's fat and has described himself as a whale. Every time I try to speak to him about it, he just laughs it off and makes out as though I'm exaggerating. If I try to be more assertive, he just gets defensive and we end up falling out. He ended up in hospital recently due to chest pains whilst exercising and I thought it would finally be the wake up call he needed, but it's gotten even worse since then. He pretended the doctor said it was something totally unrelated, but I don't believe for a second that a medical professional wouldn't have expressed concern at his weight.

He's an educated person and can be a bit stuck up, so I think he just believes that he knows better than everyone else. He posts on Facebook several times a day to inform everyone how much exercise he's done and I know other people are concerned too, but they don't really know him as well as I do and I'm really worried. He just thinks he knows best and won't listen to anyone that tries to speak to him about him. I've tried speaking to his family but they're too soft and won't side against him.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? I just don't know what I can do. It's so obvious that he needs help but he just won't admit it.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi AlexNY and welcome to the forum.

It's so hard helping someone who doesn't think or admit they need help. It sounds as though you are doing all of the right things and, more importantly, you're being supportive and a good friend.

I don't know if any of this will help at all:

National Eating Disorders

ANAD - How to help

Eating Disorders Support

There are quite a few helpful tips and info on these sites.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Need advice to help my partner Eating Disorders Forum 4
W I need some advice in order to help a friend Eating Disorders Forum 3
E I need advice. Eating Disorders Forum 3
P Need some experienced advice please. Eating Disorders Forum 3
N Need advice!!! Eating Disorders Forum 5
J First time to be given meds need some advice Eating Disorders Forum 2
I Need Advice Eating Disorders Forum 2
T Rocky road with ed - need advice on Orthorexia Eating Disorders Forum 1
K I have relapsed back into Anorexia and need advice or even just a chat... Eating Disorders Forum 6
F need urge surfing advice Eating Disorders Forum 1
G back after a while. struggling need advice? Eating Disorders Forum 2
jules65 Really need advice urgently! Eating Disorders Forum 12
C Need Advice Eating Disorders Forum 8
L Need Advice - Dinner Tonight! Eating Disorders Forum 6
E i need some advice :/ Eating Disorders Forum 8
V Intro/ Need advice.. Eating Disorders Forum 38
J I just need some advice.. Eating Disorders Forum 1
R In Need of BED Guidance Eating Disorders Forum 4
M Need a second opinion Eating Disorders Forum 2
J I think I need help Eating Disorders Forum 2
T Need Free or cheap help with my anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 7
M Need help Eating Disorders Forum 2
I I need help im so miserable and confused and im scared to tell anyone incase im overeacting Eating Disorders Forum 6
A Binge eating struggles/ experience~ in need of support im tired of this Eating Disorders Forum 3
V I think I need help Eating Disorders Forum 3
E Confused & need help Eating Disorders Forum 3
L I need help for my girlfriend with an eating disorder. Eating Disorders Forum 3
MHsmilesxo I need help Eating Disorders Forum 9
7 do i need help? Eating Disorders Forum 5
B I think I need help... Eating Disorders Forum 7
A Need help, can’t stop eating Eating Disorders Forum 9
I Need help on identifying a food problen Eating Disorders Forum 5
P Binge eating disorder: I need to feel like I'm not alone Eating Disorders Forum 15
Bluebell Skye I really need help (long) Eating Disorders Forum 2
J Relapsed and scared all i need is to talk to sombody Eating Disorders Forum 21
R I need to share this with someone. Eating Disorders Forum 2
S Need help with eating Eating Disorders Forum 1
princesscookie19 excersise,Do I need to eat more? Eating Disorders Forum 7
ninarose need help Eating Disorders Forum 6
G please I need help Eating Disorders Forum 24
D eating disorder friend need a help Eating Disorders Forum 9
J I need to talk to someone about my newly developed food related anxiety Eating Disorders Forum 3
H Do I need help? Eating Disorders Forum 5
F Treating men with eating disorders: do we need gender-specific care? Eating Disorders Forum 4
J Cant eat most of the time really need help ! :'( Eating Disorders Forum 4
N Struggling with bulimia. Need help Eating Disorders Forum 2
A I need help Eating Disorders Forum 2
H I need a friend or someone who understands Eating Disorders Forum 3
C need to eat a balanced meal Eating Disorders Forum 5
P Do I some form of an eating disorder? (Please help I really need it) Eating Disorders Forum 4