• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Need Advice and help

J

Johngillard

Hello everyone:)

This is my first post here at this forum.I wanted help and advice for helping my brother.I would tell the whole situation.

My brother has made a habit of repeating everything.He would take a long time when washing his hands.He avoids to pickup something when it falls on the floor as he feels that his hands would become dirty and also he takes alot of time in the wash room.He tends to repeat most of the things he is doing and he says that he wants to make sure of everything.He would stare at things for some time.This problem has been for many years and me and my parents have been noticing that this problem is becoming worse.My parents and myself try to guide him and we always give him a lecture that this is not right and he can fix this problem.But he always ignores our guidance and sometimes he even gets angry and says things that he later regrets.Despite our guidance and lecture he keeps on doing the same thing.He has also been failing exams and he always says that he studied for the exam.We have tried several ways to guide him but he does not listen to us.

I really needed advice and help because i really want to help my brother.I would really appreciate if someone gives useful advice and help.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi John and welcome to the forum.

You and your parents obviously care deeply and have tried helping and guiding your brother with the best of intentions. Unfortunately, as with most mental health problems, someone giving guidance and telling us what's right and wrong doesn't make an awful lot of difference, as you've discovered.

Have you tried talking to your brother about why he does the things he does? Have you discussed getting help from the doctor?

J

Johngillard

Thanks for the reply:)

Me and my parents have indeed tried to talk to my brother on why he does those things.Sometimes he says he will not do these things and then he would be doing the exact same thing again.At times he would give a unreasonable excuse on why he does those things like he would say that i want to make sure of everything.He has been to a psychiatrist many years before but it did not help.Now we try to force him to visit a psychiatrist but he does not listen and says that he is completely normal.We really are growing worried about him.We have tried several ways to try to get him back to normal.He is a huge video game fan and he is completely normal and smart when he plays video games with me.And he would be really intelligent when he would discuss about different things.When he would watch a good movie we would have a great discussion on it,but i do not know why he could not fix that problem.He has been failing exams and my parents are really growing worried about his future.We really want him to fix this problem so that he could concentrate on his studies and his future.

Does anyone know why does he do these things? Is this a real medical problem?

We really have tried to guide him but it seems that it is not helping him a bit.I would really appreciate if someone tells me of a technique or guide me on how could we treat and cure people with this kind of problem.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Sorry to hear that the previous visit to a psychiatrist was of no help. I'm guessing this was when he was diagnosed with OCD?

I think it's quite important to try to get help. I know this is easier said than done if your brother is saying he doesn't need help.

I don't know if you've searched the Internet for help or if you've come across this site before, but OCD-UK has lots of helpful advice, for sufferers as well as family and friends, and guides that you can print out. Perhaps encouraging your brother to read through some of the information available might make him feel ready to start dealing with his problems.

He's very fortunate to have family who are supportive and trying to help.

J

Johngillard

Sorry for the late reply as i was a bit busy last week.

He has not been diagnosed with OCD as he always refuses to visit the psychiatrist.As i said in my previous post,he went to a psychiatrist several years ago.We are still trying to guide him but he does not listen to us.He always gets angry and aggressive and he says that he is doing the right thing.My parents really don't know what to do to treat him.He spends long hours in the wash room whenever he goes.Is this really OCD?

Is this a problem that a person himself can fix or a medicine is needed in order to cure the person?

I really need your guidance,I really want to help my brother.